Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spark Plugs

I would like to change my spark plugs but I don’t know which ones to go with. I am debating between AC Delco Professional Platinum and AC Delco Double Platinum. Which one is better? Also if I go with one of these, is there a specific model of the plug I need to fit my blazer?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
mikeywaynebygod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spark Plugs

man, i wouldn't even get ac delco. they're a good dependable plug, don't get me wrong, but there are better ones out there. that is if you dont mind paying about 8 bucks a piece for them. i just recently bought some E3 sparkplugs from advance and they're awesome. plus they have a 100k mile warranty on them.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 PM

You must be the first person I have met that said to not go with AC Delco...I am only going with them because I have heard mass reviews about how great they are...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM

i never said they weren't a good plug. of course, they're no bosch platinum II series or anything, but they're a dependable plug.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 PM

Ok so whats the best bang for the buck plug in your opinion?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen nothing to say that the e3 plugs are nothing but another gimic plug. I have never liked Bosch plugs (pick any one) in any GM vehicle. The factory installed AC Delco Double Platinums and I have found that they are a damn good, long lasting plug in the 4.3L v6.

The new Iridium plugs are supposed to have all of the long life attributes of the platinum tipped plugs with a more concentrated spark due to their fine wire design. However, if you do go iridiums, just note that the cheaper plugs have the common nickle ground electrode that wears out after approximately 50-60k miles. You can spend a bit more for iridiums with a platinum tipped ground electrode that will last every bit as long as a double platinum plug and should give you a nice strong, consistent spark.

I will be trying out a set of NGK TR55IX plugs in my Bonneville in the spring. We'll see how a season at the drag strip treats them. Right now I have NGK TR55 common copper cored plugs in the Bonneville and replace them every year.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 AM

So if AC Delco Double Platinums are oem and come with the stock blazer when you buy them from the factory why do I hear everyone is buying them and saying they saw a noticeable difference in their engines performance.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 AM
ken erestu is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience with AC Delco plugs:
I bought a 1 owner 91 Blazer with less than 60k miles back in July. Iinstalled Bosch plugs and the car ran like crap. No pickup or fuel economy.

I installed AC Rapidfire #1 plugs, gapped at .045 and it made all the difference. Noticeable difference in idle, economy and driveability. Also, it has quicker pickup!!

Go with the AC Delco plugs, your Blazer will thank you for it.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 AM

ah, everybody has their opinion. i like my e3's just fine. buy what suits you man.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM

But back to my main question...which AC Delco plug should I go with? I dont understand the difference between them all...

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs