Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spark Plugs

your engine was built to run on the delcos. bosch is crap! i cant belive hes trying to tell you bosch over delco......thats likeford over porsche.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are replacing worn or faulty plugs, pretty much any plug you put in will immediately improve the characteristics of your engine. It is the longevity of the plugs that I am speaking of. I have only done a few plug changes because of a faulty plug. Most of mine are replaced as part of preventative maintenance and I see little to no gains in the change.

And to the post preceeding mine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Bosch plugs run very good in some vehicles. I really liked Bosch plugs in my old Intrepid, not as good as Champion coppers, but it still ran very good with the Bosch plugs.

You must compare apples to apples, however. In my old intrepid, I used standard plugs. No platinum tips, nothing but nickle/nickle construction at the arc initiation sites. These plugs generally last between 15-20k miles in my experience. In my Bonneville I run common plugs right now and replace them every year (less than 10k on the plugs each year). I am planning on trying out a set of Iridium plugs for next season which I'll pull at the end of the year to check on. For the Bravada, I run double platinums because I do not want to be pulling them right and left to check the gaps.

If you buy the single platinum plugs, which have the platinum tip on the center electrode, these have a life expectancy of around 50-60k miles which is roughly the same as the iridium plugs as both have a common nickle ground electrode. In these plugs, it is the ground electrode that will foul first. Double platinum plugs and platinum tipped ground electrode iridiums will last roughly 80-90k miles. The main difference between the platinum and iridium plugs is the iridium plugs can have a fine wire center electrode that will concentrate the spark, making it more consistent.

For anyone to say that they got dramatic improvements when swapping out half-way decent plugs for new plugs simply isn't true. Spark plugs create spark. Some can do it more consistently than others, but in the end, they are all pretty much the same. Where the differences come is in their construction. As a result of sound construction and quality materials used, certain plugs will have a longer life at peak performance than a comparable plug with poor quality materials or lack-luster construction.

I my experiences with Bosch plugs made for GM vehicles, their quality is what keeps me from using them.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I figure it is: if the OEM plugs last 100K miles, why not replace them with the same brand and model of plug? After all, you ought to be good for another 100K miles.

Since 1968, I've always followed the practice of using AC plugs in GM cars. I don't chase the new platinums because some of them have problems.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

yeah... my roommates s-10 ran like 150,000 miles on the original plugs...lol they looked pretty rough when I changed them for him, but wow.... talk about a durable plug.... go with the ac delco double platinums, if anything else buy an iridium plug...

Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

another vote for ac delco plugs, wouldn't use anything else

Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

ALWAYS used AC Delco here

Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM
swearingsailor6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also use AC Delco in all of my vehicles, although with my BlazerAutozone was out of the AC's for some reason...so I went with the NGK mainly because I haven't heard anything bad about them....they seem to work just fine. My auto shop instructor always told us that a plug is a plug is a plug, some last longer because of workmanship, but as far as the V-spark ones, or the ones with multiple conductors, there are just more parts sticking out to foul up and what would you want more? A single high intensity spark, or multiple low intensity sparks....?? i would go with the single conductor...they are tried and proven and obviously work...just my .02 worth. So my vote is AC Delco

Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Well when I bought the seamfoam from Pep Boys I also bought AC Delco Platinums. They asked me if I wanted to buy this because they are the same thing that would be in my vehicle. I thought for a second and said yes I want them just because I know everyone else has done this.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

AC Delco ftw

mine were $10 a piece [&:]