Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

swapping motors, Can oil pans be interchanged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Marcie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default swapping motors, Can oil pans be interchanged?

I have a 97 chevy blazer and I found a 2002 vortec motor to put into it. I discovered that the oil pan is different and also has a oil filter that is attached to the back of the new motor versus on the old motor it is at the front of the motor below the radiator. Can someone tell me if the oil pans can be switched out and is there a way to eliminate the oil filter on the 2002 motor? I have pictures if that would help.... Thanks...Marcie
I think the 2002 motor I bought may be out of a 2WD and that is why the Pan is different and why the oil filter is on the block instead of in a remote location like on the 4WD.
It seems like this should be adaptable, any comments would really be appreciated....Marcie

Old 10-14-2007, 03:37 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: swapping motors, Can oil pans be interchanged?

you can swap them out i believe it shouldn't be too much trouble just have both motors out and test fit them and see it wouldn't hurt to do that and if it works let us know for everyone else that might want to know.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: swapping motors, Can oil pans be interchanged?

Since gr8 didn't have an actual answer, yes, they are the same. You should be able to swap the oil pans and install your oil filter adapter/lines to the 2002 motor. And yes, the vehicle it came out of was a 2wd as all 4wd got the relocated oil filter setup.

The pan is cast aluminum in all '98+ engines and when coupled with the 3 peice transmission case, adds structural rigidity to the entire block.

The only problem that you may run into is that sometime mid to late '02, the EGR system on the 4.3L engine changed. If you see the EGR valve on the front of the intake manifold, then you should have nothing to worry about. If it isn't there, then your PCM will not get along with the new motor and you will have to swap over the lower intake.