Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Tornado?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
2001Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tornado?

has anyone tried that tornado in there 4.3L? was fuel econy improved and if so by how much?

Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tornado?

I haven't tried one, but I sold one to a guy at work the other day and he came back in tonight and was pleased with the results so far

Said it improved his performance and fuel economy, he had an '01 Silverado with the 4.3 in it

Old 09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This really shouldn't be in the new member section, but...

Everything that I have read on independent tests that have been done have said that it is not worth the packaging it comes in. It is a placebo effect if you notice a change.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I kind of made my own and I agree that even by a dyno test thee was no improvement with power and that I have gotten no releif in my fuel expense either. The fact of spinning the air BEFORE it crashes into the injectors and gets sucked in seems to make no difference. Maybe spinning after the crash would help but not before.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmm.......

You already have the tornado effect. GM designed it, and built it into your 4.3L engine. It was so effective they started putting it in other engines.

Maybe you have heard of it, it's called VORTEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL 4.3L engines have the Vortec heads, however the most recent round of modifications is what everyone wants to call "Vortec" heads. That would be the '96 and newer heads. However GM started using Vortec heads back in '86. The 4.3L engine was the testing ground for the new design, it created a vortex in the head which greatly improved fuel efficiency and had the added bonus of increasing horsepower. Proved so seccessful the design was incorporated into bigger engines. LT1, etc.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but that is done in the intake runner to valve design as well as the combustion chamber design, not prior to the throttle body.

The 'Tornado' sits before the throttle body. By the time that any swirling air gets to the intake runner in the head, it isn't really swirling anymore... It (the tornado) really is just a restriction in the intake air flow and nothing more.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Patrick has disabled reputation

there have also been incidences of the tornado coming apart, and being sucked into the engine...the case that i have heard was a WRX that sucked a piece in, and it got hung up in valve, and causes significant engine damage.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
BLAZING RICK is an unknown quantity at this point

THE TORNADO IS A P.O.S.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I think he means piece of ****

Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he means piece of ****
m00nie, sometimes I wonder what we're gonna do with you. *Hands m00nwater a cookie* You are so damn smart! I guess all that mud and bumpy *** rock climbing hasn't affected your brain.

Damn, I'm a smartass, I'm sorry

Quick Reply: Tornado?