Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Tranny issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny issue.

Hello folks. I am new to y'alls boards as well as the Blazer world. I am actually having some issues. I bought a Blazer from my uncle with 143k miles. The other day the tranny stopped working. The filter was clogged by something. So I replaced whatever fluid came out as well as the filter and it ran fine. Tonight after I got home, I was going back and forth over the snow to pack down the snow so I could get out (I was not just slamming it between gears I was stopped before engaging reverse or drive.). After the like 3rd time of doing this reverse just wouldn't engage... Give it gas, it would just sit there... Wouldn't change with any range (2hi 4hi or 4lo). I tried the rest of the gears and they worked fine. So my question, what gives?? Any advice would be nice... I love the truck but if I can't fix this I ain't keepin it lol.Thanks y'all.

EDIT -- I forgot to mention, the dipstick tube hasquite a bit of rust in it! I was told that it's almost normal for the blazers from this year cause it was a common problem. Could rust falling from this be enough to clog a filter? I would sure hope not. What else could be wrong??

Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Tranny issue.

So no one has any ideas huh. Wierd I don't know what to think about this. I am liking the truck but obviously without reverse it's kinda useless.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I would check the shift linkage under the Blazer.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 AM

Ok. So I checked the linkage on the shifter and from what I could tell everything looked fine. I am going to take the pan off and look inside when it gets a little warmer out there. Any other idears in the mean time?

Old 12-03-2006, 10:22 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

More details on what your blazer is would help:
year
model
engine
trany

If its the 700R4 could be the control mod,
or the clutch packs could be bad,
blockage in the valve body,
internal shift rod bent,
shift rod seals bad,
ect...........

Rust on the dipstick is signs that water got into the system. I would clean that stick up or replace it. (personally I would never put a rusted dipstick back in)
Chevy had this issue worse then most MFG's on their tranys. The vent port on top of the trany was not vented to the right area. It was too low (I normally run a peice of tube up to the top of the firewall with a filter plug in it) so water could enter the trany easy.
Dodge never had a tube, just a hole. Fords had a hole that was like a dimple.

This is why I run the tube up to the firewall, due to if you ever sink it to the belly pan, you will load up your trany with water. With the extention tube you end up avoiding this issue. Kind of like adding a snorkel for the air breather if you do lots of mudding, so that you don't water log your engine.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Oh my apologies I thought I put the model info in the first message.

1997 Blazer LS
4.3 vortec engine
Not entirely sure the tranny model, where is the plate on these trannies?

I am going to be getting the OEM replacement dipstick tube and stick that I was told solved the issue of rust because it has a special coating?
Luckily I am not driving the truck because I have another car for now, but I'd like to get this fixed so I can sell the other car haha.

Thanks y'all.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
mik9545 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the same thing just happend to me, my reverse just stoped working. How does ur drive work? Mine wouldent shift out of first, so i took it in and had it rebuilt.
That usually costs around $1300 to $1400 mine was $1350. Unfortunitly it took about a week to fix i took it in over Thanksgiving so i was out of a car for a week.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 AM

My drive works perfectly. Shifts very smoothly through all forward gears. Reverse just won't do anything.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 AM
mik9545 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like u have to advoid going into reverse until u get it fixed.
LOL

Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Lol I know it. It's sitting in the driveway right now until it gets warmer cause I don't have a garage... I might just give in and take it to someone cause no one seems to have an answer. I've been searching all over the web.

Quick Reply: Tranny issue.