Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Bosaliniee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transmission

i think my tranny is starting to fail, lately when i am going a constant speed and step on the gas try to pass someone the truck just kind of boggs out. so i was wondering, since i have 31s on my truck would the tranny be suffering because of that or not. and also if i do have my tranny repaired should i get a different gear ratio.
im not sure exactly where the gear ratio comes in, im not very mehanical but i thought it had something to do with the tranny.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: transmission

The larger tires serve to decrease your total gear ratio. This will not make your transmission work any harder, just your engine.

To change the final drive ratio, you must swap the gears in the rear axle (and front if 4wd). We really need to know some more information (year, make, model, drivetrain, options, etc) on your truck to help out more.

So what you are saying is that when you press down on the acclerator, it just bogs instead of kicking down to a lower gear and hustling along...?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 AM

96 blazer with 4 wheel drive 4.3l not sure if its vortec or not.

yesterday i got on the highway and when i steped on it, the rpms went from 2500 to about 1500 and i had to let off the gas and press it again and it finally went

Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM

well, this morning it was 13 degrees here and my truck would not start, it cranked just fine, a guy told me he thinks its the fuel pump that made it so i couldnt start, is it possible that its the same reason that i had the power loss?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

probably a possibility, maybe a clogged fuel filter........

Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 PM

just had the plugs distributer wires and fuel filter replaced last summer(year and a half ago) seems like as long as the truck is warm it starts fine, but as far as loosing power when driving i dont know what would cause that

Old 01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I would defiantly change the fuel filter first. It’s cheap and easy to change so it’s a good place to start. It would also make sense because it seems like you are getting an adequate amount of fuel but when you need a lot of it (like when you are trying to pass someone), it wont flow as fast which could be due to a slightly clogged fuel filter.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 AM

took it to Hires, they said it was the fuel pump and to keep the new pump under warranty they had to change my fuel filter that was only a year old. came out to 717 after
towing 50
diag 69
pump 270
labor 250
filter 7
labor 45

i think thats the break down, but that is the price. does that sound about right? or did i get ripped off

Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Well when my pump died on me(in the middle of an intersection!!!![:@])

My bill came to $1200 can., thats without a tow. labour seems cheap. this mechanic charges $68.xx per hour, my labour was intense [&o]