Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Turbo 6 or V8 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
cooguyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo 6 or V8 swap?

I have an 00 Jimmy 4 door 4wd. I just finished putting head gasket on it about 2,000 miles ago. I put a lot of effort into getting it up and running correctly (I bought it with the blown headgaskets). Heads were done, new valve seals, plugs, wires, rotor button, dist. cap, ... etc ...

So I did all that work and the engine started knocking yesterday. Awesome.

Now, I'm going to have to take care of that obviously. I figured that I can't rebuild it with the engine in the truck, but if I can that would be sorta good...

Next. Goals for the truck. I like this thing a lot, my wife likes it, and it's in super nice shape so I intend to keep it for quite a long while. I use it to tow small loads, (car on a dolly, small trailer loads, etc. Less than 4,000lbs for the most part). Snow duty, some Daily driving. MAYBE a bit off roading some day(never done it but I might give it a shot). and I like fast sporty cars (hence why I want more power out of it). I also happen to like fuel mileage btw.

All that said, the way I see it I could either pick up a vortec 350 and related swap parts, or I could do a performance rebuild on the V6 engine and replicate the cy-ty turbo set-ups (I have done searches on it already so I know what's involved in both).

I like the idea of the V8 because it's proven, strong, available, etc.
But I Don't have one, it would cost quite a bit to get all the swap bits right now, not sure what effect would be a fuel mileage (I read it would be better but I don't have one so I don't know).

I like the idea of a turbo 6 because I love turbos, I can build the engine with better internals, full rebuild, etc.
I don't know how it will do power wise and fuel mileage wise to the V8, or especially with towing and such.

Plus, I have the engine to rebuild, and I can build it with a turbo in mind now, and buy the pieces over the next few weeks/months to put together the turbo set-up. I can't really do that with the V8 swap because I need to get this thing back up and running somewhat sooner than later, not 3 months from now.

Lastly, I searched, and couldn't find a super straight answer. How much power can a 4l60E handle? I plan on doing a rebuild because it's got just under 200K on the truck, and I'll bet with the engine out, it won't be much harder to pull the trans and have a performance rebuild done on it and I think it would be foolish not to at this point.

O, I almost forgot, I assume I can buy a reflash for the tune if I went turbo 6 correct?

Sorry it was so long. Thanks for any input

Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

if your do the v6 turbo, what size turbo are you looking at going with an how much boost, the 4l60e tans can handle quite a bit with a rebuild and maybe a cooler i'd say 450-600 anything over that i would upgrade the trans to something alittle stronger

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
cooguyfish is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by trobbins
if your do the v6 turbo, what size turbo are you looking at going with an how much boost, the 4l60e tans can handle quite a bit with a rebuild and maybe a cooler i'd say 450-600 anything over that i would upgrade the trans to something alittle stronger
Holy cow, I was thinking of shooting for 300-350HP, I didn't think that trans would stand up to that kind of power!

I haven't started sizing turbos yet, I would go for something that spools faster than later, and maybe run 10-12 PSI tops.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM

oh yeah you go no worries with that. i got buddies running these same trans in camaros and trans ams pushin 400-550 with no problems so you will have no worries, forced performance black label turbo, i installed that turbo on my buddies evo an its insane you will be more than happy

Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Belt driven turbo? You tube!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

V8 will produce more reliable power cheaper than a turbo v6.

A v8 swap can be done in a weekend by somebody that knows what they are doing with correct parts. A turbo swap you will still be playing with tunes a month down the road trying to get it dialed in even by somebody in the know.

I've toyed with both and have had both running. I've also pulled half completed turbo v6 swaps for v8 swaps for people that "knew" turbos. Right now you looking at a v8 kit all kinds of companies make compared to a one off turbo kit no company has made a proven kit.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

My opinnon go with V8 swap eaier todao and probaly cheaper.Your trans with some mods can anything the V8 350 will ever put through it.You could do 4L80e swap though if you are worried about it.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM

i guesse it all comes down to what you like and what your trying to do with it, street rod, off road, or whatever

Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I think a V8 swap would be easier and more steetable. I haven't done a turbo install either mind you...