Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Want more horsepower

Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member
nswoodsman is on a distinguished road
Post Want more horsepower

This is my first thread. Just wondering how to crank out a few more horsepower from my 4.3l. No modifications on it YET...

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

CAI, free flowing exhaust/high flow cat and a tune would be a good place to start. Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it all depends on how deep you want to get into it.

all of the parts mentioned above will add a bit to the 4-3. running full synthetic oils will help reduce parasitic drag, which will free up a little more.

or you can go ***** in, and build an engine from the pan up. while your early W-code can take more boost (if you decide to go that route) the later designed heads flow better (so i've been told).

it all depends on how deep of a pocket you have.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

V8 swap no doubt.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

but why would you swap in a V8 with the same dispalcement?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Beginning Member
nswoodsman is on a distinguished road

I thought about CAI, but it seems like they don't make that big of a difference.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nswoodsman View Post
I thought about CAI, but it seems like they don't make that big of a difference.
The little gains add up. There aren't many things that will give you a serious HP gain. A turbo or supercharger will, but they're fairly expensive. Actually, speed itself is expensive. Unless you want to shell out some serious coin, do the simple stuff first.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

supercharge it, I believe you can make the ones from buick and pontiac v6's to bolt up to a 4.3 not 100% sure about that... also you could regear you truck to 4.10's, that'll make it "quicker", your top speed will be reduced but blazers shouldn't go over 100 mph anyway

Last edited by Benedict1337; 02-18-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old skool luvr View Post
but why would you swap in a V8 with the same dispalcement?
Who said anything about a V8 with the same displacement?

nswoodsman, you will not gain a whole lot with basic bolt ons out of a 4.3. I think a tune from PCMforless or another reputable tuner is the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Benedict1337 View Post
supercharge it, I believe you can make the ones from buick and pontiac v6's to bolt up to a 4.3 not 100% sure about that... also you could regear you truck to 4.10's, that'll make it "quicker", your top speed will be reduced but blazers shouldn't go over 100 mph anyway
you can't bolt a 3800 s/c to a 4.3, the throttle body would be stuffed into the firewall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want more horsepower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.