Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
pepsi21463 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird noise

Hey everyone I'm new here I have a 95 4door Blazer 4wd. I was driving home the other day when I noticed a weird crunching/knocking sound coming from the front when I was starting to go from a stop up to about 15mph. I recently changed the sparkplugs and had to take off the tires to get to them so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. I brought it into big-o-tires and they noticed I had very little oil. I still had alteast another 150 miles until my next oil change was due and I have always been on top of maintenance and stuff like that. So I thought it was weird that I was low on oil. Turns out there was a knock on the bottom of the engine block and a leak at the back of the block. They changed the oil and they drove it around and it was fine. Then on my way home I heard the knocking/crunching noise again. I'm afraid maybe the crank moved too much and now a piston or whatever is knocking against the block. What do you guys think?

Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: weird noise

Do you hear the noise while parked and reving the engine?
IF so, then it is coming from your engine.
If not, then it is something else.

If it is coming from your engine get a friend to help you.
Get a piece of hose about 3' long. Fuel line hose will work. OR you could use a long screwdriver.
Start the engine. Place on end o fthe hose up against your ear, then move the other end around in the engine compartment. Avoid moving parts, and hot parts. Have your friend keep and eye on your hands and the hose. Listen for the sound. The louder it gets the closer you are to the source of the problem. Try ti find the exact spot of the noise. Tell us where it is.

Did you fix the hole the oil was leaking from? And what kind of hole is/was it? Gasket leak or a hole in the metal soemewhere.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
pepsi21463 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well I'll try to do that sometime next week when I'm not working. I couldnt find the oil leak but I do know there was bottom end knock and theres oil all over the torque converter. Whatever it was it leaked really fast because I got my last oil change 3200 miles ago and I drive a lot so the truck wasnt just sitting there.