Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

What do you think of....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you think of....

So I was looking at replacing my timing chain for a little preventative maintaince and while browsing through Napa's Website I found A Timing Gear set, not a Chain driven gear but a Gear drive Timing Upgrage... ( http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50014+2014003 )..So what do the people of blazerforum think? Is this a good upgrade from stock or a waste of money? do you think this would cause any problems? Lets hear your input!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen them on a V6, always a V8. They sound crazy and I wouldn't mind one, but not sure how quickly it would get old.

V8 "gear drive blazer" search on Youtube

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Yea, but those are straight cut gears with two idler gears like this ( http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=87&ty=40 )( pete Jackson co. makes noisy and quiet ones but you cant use the ones with ilder gears on vehicles with knock sensors ) theese gerars are a hellicial cut so they should be very quiet, but is their a perfromace gain?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

we put a timing gear setup on our old ford shop truck at the last place i worked. that was like 3 or 4 years ago, its still in there! lol

i like them, but i would imagine that over time the teeth would wear and cause your timing to go out a little.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
i would imagine that over time the teeth would wear and cause your timing to go out a little.
Yea, but i would imagine that even with wore gears it would still be more accurate then a streched chain? right?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your knock sensor will go nuts with a gear drive. Lots more noise than a chain setup.

Wear is wear. So whether its a worn gear drive or a stretched chain, it will affect timing in much the same manner.

I wouldn't really worry too much about the chain in terms of preventative maintenance. Especially if you have no other reason to pull off the timing cover.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM

well I kinda do, I have a pan gasket and timing cover leaking oil, so I figured while im in there it wouldnt hurt to replace the timing componets. you think the knock sensor will still go nuts even with a matched set of hellicial gears?