Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'01 to '97 Blazer 4x4 Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
ChevyMan2010 is on a distinguished road
Cool '01 to '97 Blazer 4x4 Transmission Swap

First off, I have been hanging out in this forum since getting my 97 blazer, and decided to go ahead and get an account finally, so I am fairly new to posting on here. With that said...

I have a '97 Blazer LT, 4x4 with the 4.3L Vortec motor. Recently on my way to work, without warning (although the 221,000 miles on her should have been warning enough something could go wrong soon) the Transmission decided to crap out on me. I have been able to locate another 4L60-e transmission from a 4x4 blazer HOWEVER. The question I have is this...

The Transmission I have found is from a 2001 blazer. Same motor as mine (4.3L Vortec), same setup as mine (3 button pushbutton 4wd)... Will the 4L60 from the '01 fit into my '97 relatively smooth? I have noticed that some improvements along the way have been made, yet the internals are the same, so no worries there if they will match up.

Note: I've been getting both yes and no's from local shops and online here. Has anyone tackled something similar? Any input would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Should fit no problem. The only difference that there may be is yours may not have the full, removable bell housing, but even so, it will bolt up just the same and will work with your electronics.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks a ton swartlkk, I was hoping they would, being the same model (L60) and all, but wasn't sure how the difference in years would actually affect the tranny itself. Was told by about half the trans shops out there it would, and the other half said it wouldn't... The elecronics matching up, were/are the biggest concern I've had.But 175 for a trans with only 80,000 was to good an offer to pass up if it would work.

Also... I had the chance to climb under mine yesterday (Before the snow started fallin') and it looks like although she's a 97, it's a late model 97 with the two piece bell housing like the '01 should have. So from what I hear, if the electronics are gonna work, then I'll be golden. Also found a place that'll install for 325, so for about 500 bucks I'll have her back on the road again!!! Cannot wait for that!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM

**Update** Well, I got the Transmission from the 2001 blazer, and finally was able to get it put in my 97. Gotta say... The junkyard "Interchange" information for this vehicle is completely wrong. As far as the 4L60 trans goes. The 97 blazer was when they did the switchover from the older style single case bellhousing. If you've got the newer style removable bell housing, 97 and up will fit. The internals of the transmissions are the same, as well as the wiring hookups. Everything fit into mine, and she's back to runnin' like a champ... Now it's wheel hubs, and a u joint, and I'll be all set again...

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
JeremyNYR is on a distinguished road

i'm about to face almost the same situation as you, so I figured I'd post here for clarification. If I'm replacing the 4L60E on a 96 Blazer with a 1-piece case, is there anything preventing a direct swap to a 2-piece case with the separate bellhousing from a '98 and up blazer?

I noticed the interchange stating only 96 and 97 interchange, but if the only difference is a separate casting for the bellhousing, then it sounds like forwards compatibility is no problem for me. Am I missing something?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Hey Jeremy,

I ran into that same interchange issue when I replaced mine, luckily I called a couple knowledged dealerships who told me that the '01 4L60 would work with my '97. I, however, wish I could give you a direct answer to your '96, but I would guess that they should work. I don't think between 96 and 97, Chevy went with a completely different transmission size and all, so like swartlkk said in the post above, things should line up. I'd call a few dealerships though just to be sure. You're probably gonna end up getting about half yes' and half no's. But the ones that will tell you it'll fry your PCM are the ones that don't know and are simply trying to get you to spend a couple grand having them replace/rebuild yours for you. All in all, don't quote me, but I believe it should work. Mine's running like a champ. Hope that helps...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member
blazer888 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
i'm about to face almost the same situation as you, so I figured I'd post here for clarification. If I'm replacing the 4L60E on a 96 Blazer with a 1-piece case, is there anything preventing a direct swap to a 2-piece case with the separate bellhousing from a '98 and up blazer?

I noticed the interchange stating only 96 and 97 interchange, but if the only difference is a separate casting for the bellhousing, then it sounds like forwards compatibility is no problem for me. Am I missing something?
Hi. I'm doing exactly that right now. I have a 95/96 model, and was told it would work just fine. So now i've got the 2 piece bolted up, only thing is that i have to bend the cooling pipes in a little different angle, and i have to get hold of another dust cover for the trans. The 2piece is from a 97.

I will post the result here when i'm done