Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'01 Blazer Engine Shut-off while driving, will not restart

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Dis4Wurk is on a distinguished road
Question '01 Blazer Engine Shut-off while driving, will not restart

'01 Blazer 4WD 4.3L w/ 130k miles. Driving down the road and the engine just shut-off. All electrical power remained on.

Fuel pump activates when key is placed in ON position.
Put a spare spark plug on the plug wires and am getting good spark.
Fuel rail has pressure.
EGR valve has a rattle when I shake it, but the spring seems to return fine when manually pushed via my finger.
Battery seems to be draining rapidly since the occurrence.
Any attempts to start, even with jumper cables to a running vehicle and good voltage reading on the gauge cluster, results in continuous cranking with no start.

I've been searching around this forum and others and a lot of articles say the spider injector or stuck open EGR valve. But, i haven't found any others where the engine just shut-off at 40 mph. Am i looking in the right area? Should i replace the spider injector?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Ebbervonfloyd is on a distinguished road

Dis
I purchased my Blazer from original owner with your problem. I thought I could fix it. Had fuel and spark, but would not fire. Three days of work on it and I had read about the distributor gear being soft of some of the distributors; pulled it out to check. It was ok, but found that rotor had a hole burnt into it from spark and shorting to ground on the distributor shaft. Replaced rotor and still wouldn't start, pulled plugs and were wet with gas. Had to do this several time to get all the gas out of cylinders. It did fire up and gas would ignite in muffler and took a long time to burn out. Previous owner had tried to start and you know each time we turn the key fuel pump added more fuel .
I have mechanic friend that I go to when the questions get hard. He explained it had to do with timing chain stretch. It allows for the rotor to lag behind where it is suppose to be, and spark is searching for the path of least resistance. This case it was through the rotor. It is a high miler with 200 000 + I did change the timing chain much later and it certainly runs better now.
I should add that I also had fire at the plugs. I suppose that under compression it was easier for the spark to jump to ground on the distributor shaft. I hope this helps you.
L