Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

02 ls blazer. Inner tie rod tore off front dif coveron driver side!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Beginning Member
02blzerguy is on a distinguished road
Default 02 ls blazer. Inner tie rod tore off front dif coveron driver side!

Made a sharp right turn heard a clunk and a bang inspected the truck realized
that the diff cover on the driver side was peeled back not really getting any clearance from the diff to the inner tie rod end was wondering why this is happening if anybody has ever experienced this before

Old 06-02-2019, 05:55 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Did you apply a lift kit? Hows the pitman and idlers arms?

Old 06-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member

It does have a lift but I did not apply it previous owner dead I've had the truck for about a year now maybe a little more I did the tie rod ends and there's and outers about a month-and-a-half ago along with the shocks and CV axles but I have had no problems until yesterday

Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

There is a little bit of play from the steering wheel to the Pitman side ive been wanting to change them I just don't know how worn they are yet

Old 06-02-2019, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Can you post some pictures? Can you identify what sort of lift kit it was? The 2.5" from Rough Country? (https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-susp...kit-242n2.html) The 2" lift from SuperLift? (https://www.carid.com/images/superli...nsion/k451.jpg)

The one from RC had a plate that would be bolted to the front differential so to allow the front diff/axle to be dropped a bit. Also the RC upper control arms were made of tubes that the outer ends terminate at the ball joint. The SuperLift one had the tubes of the upper control arms end in a roughly parallel direction with the ends open and a plate between them to which an OEM style upper ball joint would be mounted.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member

When I bought the truck the guy told me it was the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift I'll have to take some pictures the bar that the inner tie rod connects to is not clearing the front differential on the driver side and ripped off the cover plate behind the CV axle

Old 06-02-2019, 07:09 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

The 7.2" gm ifs diff doesn't have a cover. It's just two pieces that come together. You got any pics of what you're talking about?

Edit: you're meaning the cover deal on the side, on the driver side stub shaft? Makes a little more sense.

Still, pics would help a ton

Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member

It's a small plate cover behind the CV shaft on the driver side I found the part I'm just hoping somebody could tell me why my inner tie rod end would be rubbing up against that I guess maybe a better question would be why would my front differential be sagging and no longer allow clearance from the tie rod

Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I've replaced that plate and the bearing behind it and I don't remember any clearance issues with it and the tie-rod end.

If the Blazer had the Rough Country 2.5" lift put in, then there could be an issue with the re-location of the front differential.

I'm attaching a version of the installation instructions for the RC lift I downloaded as a reference. Perhaps there will be pictures that could help you determine what it is supposed to be looking like.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

Thats super helpful thank you its been a real head ach believe me i had the transmission rebuilt for 3rd time by same mechanic in the last year paid for the first rebuild the last to were warranty left his shop on saturday and this happens leaving parking lot im done letting him put his dirty little dick beaters on it hes done enough

Quick Reply: 02 ls blazer. Inner tie rod tore off front dif coveron driver side!