Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

03 Blazer 4x4 timing issues plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Starting Member
Nick Sprague is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 03 Blazer 4x4 timing issues plz help

Ok so I was under the hood replacing a vacuum line and it was dark outside so I had a flashlight and when I was looking for the leaking hose I noticed a small coolant leak where the lower intake manifold meets with the head. I used my compressor to blow any grease/dirt/grime out of the area and all it did was make the leak worse. So I purchased the gasket set and replaced it. You have to remove the distributor to get to it. When I put it all back together I could not get the truck to start. I called a friend to help when I was trying to start it it backfired a couple times. He said that it may have jumped timing so since I was already covered in grease I went ahead and pulled off the front cover and replaced the timing chain. (It had a lot of slack in it) now everything lined up right. I've read the sticky "EDI timing" several times and done exactly what it says and my truck still won't start. Any ideas???

Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nick Sprague
Ok so I was under the hood replacing a vacuum line and it was dark outside so I had a flashlight and when I was looking for the leaking hose I noticed a small coolant leak where the lower intake manifold meets with the head. I used my compressor to blow any grease/dirt/grime out of the area and all it did was make the leak worse. So I purchased the gasket set and replaced it. You have to remove the distributor to get to it. When I put it all back together I could not get the truck to start. I called a friend to help when I was trying to start it it backfired a couple times. He said that it may have jumped timing so since I was already covered in grease I went ahead and pulled off the front cover and replaced the timing chain. (It had a lot of slack in it) now everything lined up right. I've read the sticky "EDI timing" several times and done exactly what it says and my truck still won't start. Any ideas???
The marks line up correctly every 2nd revolution of the crankshaft. This has to be TDC of #1 compression stroke. So pull #1 plug, stick your finger over the hole and have your friend tap the starter until you feel compression. Continue rotating the engine (by hand) just a little until the timing marks on the balancer line up correctly. The rotor should now be pointing very close to the #6 cast into the top of the distributor body. If not, remove distributor and reinstall correctly.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
The marks line up correctly every 2nd revolution of the crankshaft. This has to be TDC of #1 compression stroke. So pull #1 plug, stick your finger over the hole and have your friend tap the starter until you feel compression. Continue rotating the engine (by hand) just a little until the timing marks on the balancer line up correctly. The rotor should now be pointing very close to the #6 cast into the top of the distributor body. If not, remove distributor and reinstall correctly.
Here is a good explanation to R & R a distributor. Hint: line up orange mark on lower shaft with dimple on gear this faces front, it will rotate to the "6" on the housing when dropped in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e74qmYkFMGc

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 11-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.