Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1991 S10 Blazer Transmission/Transfercase Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
Chiller449 is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 S10 Blazer Transmission/Transfercase Removal

Hello all,
When I bought my Blazer I knew it had trans problems as the fluid smelled pretty burned and was brown. When I got it home I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter. There were chunks of metal stuck all over the magnets in the pan so I knew it was on its last legs. Drove it for about a month and it finally went out on me. When I put it into any gear I have to rev to almost 3 grand before it will begin to crawl so I know its toast. Im getting ready to remove the trans,mission and Transfer case but i have some questions. The removal is pretty straightforward im guessing? I shouldnt need any special tools or anything right? Ive done plenty on like jeeps and stuff but never on a chevy. Is the transfer case connected to the trans... what I mean by that is does the transfer case take gear lube or does it share trans fluid with the transmission? Also do you think the transfer case is ok? When I got it to work I thought I saw it was smoking but it may have just been coming off of the transmission.

1991 Chevy s10 Blazer 2 door 4x4 Automatic 700r4

Last edited by Chiller449; 03-13-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the transfercase is a sealed unit but probably takes transmission fluid as most usually do. the back of the transmission is open and you will lose a bit of fluid when you take the transfercase off, probably not in your case as you already dumped the fluid

so you will have to drain the transfercase of its fluid also

but yeah if you done other transmissions its the same thing, remove starter, torque converter bolts, trans lines, linkage, electrical connections and anything else attached to it and take the trans bolts off.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
the transfercase is a sealed unit but probably takes transmission fluid as most usually do. the back of the transmission is open and you will lose a bit of fluid when you take the transfercase off, probably not in your case as you already dumped the fluid

so you will have to drain the transfercase of its fluid also

but yeah if you done other transmissions its the same thing, remove starter, torque converter bolts, trans lines, linkage, electrical connections and anything else attached to it and take the trans bolts off.
Ok I figured this was the case. Whats your opinion on the transfer case? Should I consider replacing it to or do you think its fine. The 4x4 worked fine before the trans went out.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah i wouldnt worry about it, like i said the transfer case is a sealed unit so if the transmission blew chunks of metal inside it theres no way for it to make its way into the transfercase.

just drain the fluid on that and check it out for metal but if it worked before it should be fine. just remember to seal the transfercase mounting area where it goes against the transmission when re-installing

Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah i wouldnt worry about it, like i said the transfer case is a sealed unit so if the transmission blew chunks of metal inside it theres no way for it to make its way into the transfercase.

just drain the fluid on that and check it out for metal but if it worked before it should be fine. just remember to seal the transfercase mounting area where it goes against the transmission when re-installing
Will do. Thanks a bunch!