Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1993 4.3 vortec flooding out

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
garyrsch is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 4.3 vortec flooding out

Hello
I am new here so I hope I am doing this right.
I just purchaced a 1993 s10 blazer with 4.3 vortec engine that has been sitting for about 5 years. It won't start. I removed the spark plugs and dried them off and blew the gas out of the cylinders with air compressor. Put spark plugs back and tried to start and got a promising fire or two and then nothing. Took spark plugs back out and the cylinders had filled with gas again. Did this several times. It has good spark to the brand new spark plugs. It has 60 pounds of fuel pressure. New pressure regulator. Replaced spider assembly with a used one and still get the very same outcome. It just seems to be pumping way to much fuel to the cylinders.
I could really use any and all advise on this problem. Thank you

Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a search for the CPI regulator how-to. You either have a leaking fuel pressure regulator or a leaking nut kit -- or both.

I just pulled the upper plenum on my Astro today and found both sides leaking (I'm replacing the engine as the idiot PO let it leak so long it threw a rod).

The attached pic is from the back of the engine as there is better access there on an Astro, so left really is driver's side (nut kit) and right is passenger side (fuel pressure regulator).

Attached Thumbnails 1993 4.3 vortec flooding out-astro_3.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Thanks for your response but I don't think there is a fuel leak. I had the top off and replaced the fuel regulator and there was no sign of gas leak . I pulled the poppit tubes out and cranked on the starter and the gas came out of the poppits pulsating but way to much gas came out. The first squirt Is alot and then it starts pulsating with more fuel than it needs in my opinion. Got any ideas on this? Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Define filled with gas? I find it very hard to believe that the injectors are flowing enough fuel to fill the cylinders with fuel at start up.

Are you getting proper spark?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

I crank on the starter for about 10 -15 seconds . Then I take the spark plugs out and shake them over a surface and a lot of gas comes out of the spark plug. then I turn over the engine and it sprays the gas out. It may not fill the cylinders, but it is way too much fuel. Any thoughts on that ?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Spark? A lack of a strong spark could be causing your fuel rich problem. Gasoline doesn't burn on its own.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I think the used spider might have come out of a van or truck that had the same problem that landed it in the junkyard.

When I bought my 93 and it was flooding badly, I noticed that in the 2 seconds of priming the fuel system that my poppits were pissing out about an ounce of fuel each and filling the cylinders... I grabbed 2 CPI's at the junkyard in case one was bad. I lucked out and the first one worked properly and then when the engine is cranked over they only let out a tiny little mist like they should.

I would change that CPI unit out again because it is spraying way too much fuel. When they pulse it shouldnt even be enough to make your fingertip wet, and they shouldnt spray anything when priming.

You should also do a pressure test and see if its holding 58-60 psi when you turn the key off... Mine was dropping off to zero in about 1 second. My leak was the poppits not sealing up and holding anything back.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I completely missed the used spider... I saw that he had replaced it and figured the problem had to be elsewhere.

I would never use anything but a new spider. Too much time and effort is put into working on these things to waste it on a used injection system.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I completely missed the used spider... I saw that he had replaced it and figured the problem had to be elsewhere.

I would never use anything but a new spider. Too much time and effort is put into working on these things to waste it on a used injection system.
I did too - and ditto.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 AM

Alright you all. I got the problem taken care of and it is the craziest thing ever. A $15 temperature snsor. It seems that when it goes bad it sends a message to the computer that the temp is freezing cold and so the computer sends a message to the fuel injector to spray more fuel because it is so cold. Anyway that is what I was told so I replaced it and my blazer started right up. So put that one in your books , it's a good one

Thanks for all your input

Last edited by garyrsch; 03-23-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

Quick Reply: 1993 4.3 vortec flooding out