Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1993 Blazer S10 Shuts Off When You Put it In Gear :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
Abutera76 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 1993 Blazer S10 Shuts Off When You Put it In Gear :-(

Hey guys second post on this just still cant figure out the problem when ever i have to start the truck up i have to spray starter fluid in it for some reason once i spray it in it starts right up it will drive for about 3 feet then stall out?? then same thing again spray starter fluid and it will start then move about 3 feet then stall out..?? what can it be ...i bought it about 4 months ago and it drove home finee! and i let it sit in my driveway for a few weeks cause i was going to get it registered and stuff and i started it put it in Drive to take a quick spin around block and it went about 3 feet and craped out.. ..but you always have to spray the starting fluid down the choke to get it started it will stay idling all day and even when its parked you can hit the gas and it will rev up sometime it does bog out and backfire a little but it wont shut off unless you put it into gear and hit the gas.. i had it on the street put it in gear and didn't hit the gas just let it coast and it didn't shut off. i pray someone had the same problem and its something easy i know this is actually a common problem on blazers i just want to get this truck running!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

1. Bought new battery
2. Changed oil "waiting for the proper tool to change the oil filter"
3. Cleaned spark plugs "they are still good" i believe
4. Changed Fuel filter
5. Cut hole in catalytic converter " a friend thought it was clogged and thinking that was the problem"
6. Replaced Rubber air intake hose "the old one was all chewed up"
7. Reranged the fuel pump relay fuse " i think thats what there called its the 2 big fuses on the drivers side under the hood against firewall"
8. Drained old gas "cause its been sitting in tank for months" and put some new gas in it.
9. Put some fuel cleaner in the gas tank

and thats where i stand had a buddy come take a look at it and its NOT the fuel pump he said cause you here it turning on. PLEASE someone help!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because you can hear the fuel pump doesn't mean you have the required pressure. You need to get a fuel pressure tester and check your actual fuel pressure and post back the results.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I was about to suggest idle air motor, but it sounds more like a fuel issue. I'm betting the filter could use a change though.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Beginning Member
Abutera76 is on a distinguished road
Default REPLY BACK "1993 Blazer S10 Stalling Out When Put In Gear ISSUE"

leeann_Bravada: hey thanks for the reply i will def get those tested what excatly do i need to get to test that out? i do appreciate the reply!!!

TZFBird: what filter are you referring to i changed the fuel filter..and the oil filter i will be changing tomorrow i got the filter itself i just need that special tool to take it off its on there to tight to do it with my hands..

Also another thing i was reading some forums and some guy had same EXACT problem with same exact year and make of my truck saying he brought it to like 4 mechanics and they couldn't figure it out and he had this problem in Sep 2010 so i messaged him asking if he ever got problem solved and he messaged me back this morning saying it was a "intake manifold leak" now is that easy and cheap to replace? thanks again guys!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

he was refering to the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket failing.

the parts aren't really expensive. as for how hard is it....well...........that all depends on how skilled you are @ tearing apart your engine. but you will have to remove the intake and everything that is in the way/attached to it.

this topic has been discussed many times before, and while i can't find a thread or sticky on it, i'm sure there's a thread out there describing how it's done. but it's really not that difficult.

but i'd get a little more info from the other member (including some specifics about what he found & how he found it) before just going @ it.

and get that fuel pressure check before you get into it. 'cause like Leeann said, a running pump doesn't mean it running correctly.

Originally Posted by Abutera76
7. Reranged the fuel pump relay fuse " i think thats what there called its the 2 big fuses on the drivers side under the hood against firewall"

to the passenger's side of the booster............those aren't fuses, they're relays.