Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1994 4.3 Blazer running rough

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1994 4.3 Blazer running rough

Hmmm....what kind of wetness from the tailpipe? White steam? Possible head gasket leak/crack at #1?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
sarmikgar is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt see any white/black/or other color "smoke" coming from the tailpipe while the vehicle was running. Just noticed the splatter marks on the groundunder the tailpipe, I tried to light them with a lighter but it wouldnt catch, and I got some on my finger and hadmy wifesmell it who said it did smell like fuel to her also.

Heading out soon to rent those tools and do testing of the compression in #1 and a fuel pressure test. Will update later today.

Sort of at the end of things for me working on this guy's truck.. If #1 is bad, or the fuel pump is bad I will probably just give it back to the owner to take somewhere. I really dont wanna replace the head and have done several fuel pumps in my time and I hate that job so much lol.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member

Was not able to rent the fuel pressure test kit, they wanted $159.99, owner of vehicle can do that if he wants I guess, or rent it for me to do.

Cyl. #1 showed 145 lbs. Also, when I pulled the spark plug from #1 it there was a noticeable fuel smell on the plug so it seems like that cyl. is getting fuel. The plugs, wires, rotor and cap were all replaced after the issue started with no change.

Really not sure where to go from here, any suggestions appreciated.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you confirmed spark to that cylinder?

And $159.99 for a fuel pressure tester?? Mine cost $30...

Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member

Took compression tester back and went ahead and rented their fuel pressure test kit. Test showed 59-60 psi after turning the key, pressure slowly dropped a little but after 10 min was still above 50 psi.

Have not really confirmed spark.. when I was pulling the #1 wire off while the truck was running I got a little jolt though hehe.

What is the best way to confirm spark, the old way of plug in wire and then hold plug to engine block and look for spark while turning over engine?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 PM
c5ce is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: sarmikgar
What is the best way to confirm spark, the old way of plug in wire and then hold plug to engine block and look for spark while turning over engine?
Good ol' inductive timing light?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member

Father in law has one, gonna bring it over this evening.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member

Tested spark on every cyl. was good on all, and timing looked good.

One thing I forgot to mention in previous posts was that the fan is coming on right away and staying on, if I remember correctly this is just because the computer has codes in it and makes the truck run in "limp" mode and runs fan, normal GM behavior if I recall correctly.

Heres a pic of what Im getting out of the exhaust, this is after about 10 min running time.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...wetexhaust.jpg

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What fan are you talking about? The "computer" has no input on the radiator cooling fan operation. I am not even sure that there is a "limp-in" mode in the 1st gen OBD1 setups either.

Does the junk continue to come out of the exhaust? Were you able to run a compression test on all cylinders to compare with the results you got on #1 (145lbs IIRC)?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member

Talking about the engine fan.

I know 94 2.2l and 95 2.3l(obd 1/1.5)engines hadwhat was called a"limp" mode and oncea code was set/stored the fan would run. The fan was controlled by the ecm. I worked on those motors for several years, and pretty much know them inside and out.

Stuff seems to come out of the exhaust when running not whenengine offif thats what you meant, as stated Ive run the engine about a total of 10 min during the time I have had it, and it has been it that same spot so the stuff on the groundhas accumulated over that time. It has a slight fuel/exhaust smell to it, about as thin as fuel or water but will not catch fire. I would almost say its just condensation or something if it wasnt blackish and the truck was running right.. but seems to be more than just that.

Did not run test on all cyl., just went with #1 since that is the cyl. the owner said was suspect, wishing I would have tested them all. Might rent tester again and do that.

Quick Reply: 1994 4.3 Blazer running rough