Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1996 blazer 4x4 post accident repair

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM
96blazer191k is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1996 blazer 4x4 post accident repair

I have a 96 blazer 4x4, 4.3 vortec 262CI with 191k on it. ive been to hell and back with this thing and have always seemed to come up with a solution for every problem, until now. I got in to a fender bender in which i sustained front end damage, and my front dif. cracked the oil pan. I put JB epoxy putty on it and some seal all and it held pretty well. when i went for a drive after patching it the truck didnt want to shift. I got it to up shift 2 times after putting my foot to the floor and when i get off the gas I dont get engine brake like i would if it was continuously stuck in a low gear. also i noticed that the ABS light is now on and was not on before the accident and the speedometer does not work. could the speedometer not working have something to do with the truck not wanting to shift? or maybe could i have knocked something loose or broken something in the accident that would stop the trans from knowing that its supposed to shift?
any help would be appeciated. thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 96blazer191k
could the speedometer not working have something to do with the truck not wanting to shift?
BINGO! Without a signal from the VSS, the speedo won't work, nor will the transmission shift properly. The PCM doesn't know what speed the truck is going and therefore does not know when to shift.

The VSS is located in the transfer case tail shaft housing.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 AM
96blazer191k is on a distinguished road

cool. thanks, i found the VSS plug clip on the transfer case. now that i got that problems solved, i took a look and my oil pan started to leak again from the patch that i put on. now im looking into replacing the entire oil pan and gasket. it looks like a hard gig. i got the front dif. dropped and seperated from the drive axels. what comes next??? i was thinking probably lifting the motor and hoping that gives me enough room the start to shimmy the oil pan out? any input would help thanks.