Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 Blazer, Changed Tranny Fluid now its like it doesnt start in 1st gear??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 PM
JasinP is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 Blazer, Changed Tranny Fluid now its like it doesnt start in 1st gear??

So I changed my Tranny fluid this weekend, after I started noticing it seemed to stick in first gear a little too long and jerk into second, well after changing the fluid, filter, gasket and all, I start it up, put it in reverse which works fine, put it in drive and hit the gas and it barely goes, like its starting in 2nd gear instead of 1st after I finally get moving everything seems to shift normally, and it takes FOREVER to get going if I'm stopped on a hill, if I put it in first gear it moves as it should!!!! any ideas of what I could have done? Thanks in Advance!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 AM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JasinP
So I changed my Tranny fluid this weekend, after I started noticing it seemed to stick in first gear a little too long and jerk into second, well after changing the fluid, filter, gasket and all, I start it up, put it in reverse which works fine, put it in drive and hit the gas and it barely goes, like its starting in 2nd gear instead of 1st after I finally get moving everything seems to shift normally, and it takes FOREVER to get going if I'm stopped on a hill, if I put it in first gear it moves as it should!!!! any ideas of what I could have done? Thanks in Advance!!!
When you removed the tranny pan you had to disconnect the linkage. If you did not reinstall the linkage correctly it is possible you are off and it is not in the gear you think you are in. I would disconnect the linkage and make sure the transmsission shift lever at the transmission is in park. Then connect the shift linkage making sure not to move the shift lever.

SAFETY NOTE: make sure the vehicle is raised with tires off the ground or chock the wheels so it does not roll.

If the linkage adjustment is correct and you still have problems. Try manually shifting through the gears. Start out in low (1), then shift to 2, 3, and D. (I'm assuming it has overdrive). Repeat manual shifting going down, D, 3, 2, 1 (ensure you don't over speed when down shifting). If it will shift up and down through the gears manually then it is not the transmission but possibly some other control mechanism. I'd have to do some research to see what else controls the shifting (Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS), Trans Input Speed Senor (TISS), Trans Output Speed Sensor (TOSS), Crankshaft Speed Sensor (CSS). I'm not sure which if anyof these the transmission has.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
JasinP is on a distinguished road

its a 97 Blazer 4X4 with a 4.3L vortec motor if that helps to tell you what sensors the tranny has, I have ran through the gears, I have to put it in first if I am stopped going uphill or it takes forever to get going, first gear works like its in first, second gear works like it should I don't have 3, I have noticed a VERY SLIGHT difference between D and OD, it seems to get going a little quicker in D but not by much, a friend told me that it sounded to him like there could be a stuck solenoid in the tranny?? I put some Lucas Trans Fix in there and haven't noticed any difference as of yet, I know nothing about transmissions, just know how to change the filter, seal and fluid, maybe I will take it to Autozone and have them run a diognostic on it and they could tell me if its a sensor issue, thanks for your input, I will post any changes I find.

Last edited by JasinP; 06-01-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

I didn't think my post made it. The site hungup when I posted and I went to bed. Got up this morning and it was still frozen. Anyway...

If you have an AAMCO transmission shop they may run a diagnostic test at no charge. My local shop does. Then you can decide if you can repair it or let the experts do it. I have yet to have any transmission work done that didn't hurt the wallet. I checked the Haynes manual and it is limited on diagnostics for the transmission. Seems shift patterns are controled by the computer. So unless others have past experiances to point you in the right direction, it might be best to take it to a shop.