Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member
sportjunkee is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Transmission Service

I have a 1998 4x4 Blazer LT.

I would like to do a transmission fluid and filter change on this vehicle. I would like to know the steps involved and any possible problems I may see and tips for doing this efficiently.

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Beginning Member
BigBlu102 is on a distinguished road

No filter. You will need to take it to a service center. The trans fill tube is the transmission dip stick tube. There is no way for you to drain it.

The old transmission fluid is flushed out using new fluid. This process is repeated several times where old fluid is sucked out, new fluid is put in to the remaining old fluid and flushed out and then sucked out again.

Then all new fluid is put in. I work at Valvoline and we do the service for about $100.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
sportjunkee is on a distinguished road

Well, I managed to get this accomplished last weekend due to finding Eric the Car Guys video's on you tube. It took me a few hours by myself to remove the cable linkage from pan bolts, remove all the bolts, and drop the pan. I was able to do this without creating a huge mess of transmission fluid all over the place.

I then removed the transmission filter and o-ring and replaced with a filter from WIX. I also replaced the pan gasket because the old had deteriorated to where it was unusable.

Bolts were reinstalled and the linkage was hooked back up. I then filled the transmission with 5 quarts of AMSOIL transmission fluid through the transmission dipstick.

I have checked the transmission fluid while hot and is full and running with no leaks. Shifts a lot smoother and I am real happy with the outcome.

The lesson learned here is that I can do this type of work on my own and to NEVER take a vehicle to a VALVOLINE location since their service professionals are clueless or give completely wrong information.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sportjunkee
Well, I managed to get this accomplished last weekend due to finding Eric the Car Guys video's on you tube. It took me a few hours by myself to remove the cable linkage from pan bolts, remove all the bolts, and drop the pan. I was able to do this without creating a huge mess of transmission fluid all over the place.

I then removed the transmission filter and o-ring and replaced with a filter from WIX. I also replaced the pan gasket because the old had deteriorated to where it was unusable.

Bolts were reinstalled and the linkage was hooked back up. I then filled the transmission with 5 quarts of AMSOIL transmission fluid through the transmission dipstick.

I have checked the transmission fluid while hot and is full and running with no leaks. Shifts a lot smoother and I am real happy with the outcome.

The lesson learned here is that I can do this type of work on my own and to NEVER take a vehicle to a VALVOLINE location since their service professionals are clueless or give completely wrong information.

I definitely agree with you, thats something i will do on my own hopefully soon, no need to bring it to clueless people and pay all that money. you just have to have a little bit of time and patience. maybe ill even substitute a quart with lucas oil for transmissions. if it's good stuff..?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Normally you can't back flush a trans where they remove the cooler lines, pump new fluid into the trans to remove all the old fluid from the converter which will get back into the trans at home.<--- crazy shop I want to own!

I don't know or have heard of either of you but Junkee... that's out of line. I'm sorry (it seems) you've had a bad experience. Cest la vie, MC Donald's messed up my order last week.
Unless we have the tools, we can't but take our vehicles to the shops that do have the tools.
A proper back flush for the trans is out of my range (at home anyway) but is needed IMO every so often.

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-14-2012 at 01:06 AM.