Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1999 Air in fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member
Vovin is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Air in fuel line

So I mothballed my 1999 Blazer for at least a year, rolled my other truck, now back to the Blazer.

Before mothballing, Blazer was developing issues with starting up: having to crank ignition several times, screeching/grinding starter, etc.. This seems completely random, and sometimes it would fire up perfectly.

Anyway, been driving it briefly for a couple weeks now after sitting around and the problems came back. Just installed a brand new starter today, which seems to have solved the screeching/grinding sounds. HOWEVER, it still fails to turn over sometimes while the starter cranks fine. I would even leave it sitting around for a week after it refused to start, only to have it start immediately next time I try it.

Buddy immediately checked the fuel line via the shrader valve near the back of the engine. Air briefly came out, then fuel. Fired up perfectly after that. Drove it a couple times, same problem, let a tiny bit of air out of fuel valve, starts fine again.

So now I have a problem with air in the fuel lines. I've tried looking this issue up but haven't seen much specific to this issue or what causes it. Changed fuel filter about three years ago, fuel pump about two years ago (maybe 15000-20000 KM on these at most). I don't seem to be leaking gas at all.

Any suggestions? Do fuel lines rot?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

How did he check pressure? With an actual pressure guage, or a screwdriver to see if there was any gas there?

Rent yourself a fuel pressure tester, they're free with a refundable deposit at just about any parts store, and perform the fuel pressure checks that are described in about eleven trillion places on the forum here, and report back what you find, and we'll go from there

Old 03-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
How did he check pressure? With an actual pressure guage, or a screwdriver to see if there was any gas there?

Rent yourself a fuel pressure tester, they're free with a refundable deposit at just about any parts store, and perform the fuel pressure checks that are described in about eleven trillion places on the forum here, and report back what you find, and we'll go from there
We use our fingers to engage the valve to release air that is in the fuel lines that should not be in there.

And yes I am aware that it may be a good idea to check the fuel pressure. Unfortunately I live in a rural community where you cannot just go and rent whatever tool you want. And if I did get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge, which would probably be very briefly, I would like to have some idea of what I am looking for first.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Vovin
We use our fingers to engage the valve to release air that is in the fuel lines that should not be in there.

And yes I am aware that it may be a good idea to check the fuel pressure. Unfortunately I live in a rural community where you cannot just go and rent whatever tool you want. And if I did get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge, which would probably be very briefly, I would like to have some idea of what I am looking for first.
I hope you can get yourself a pressure tester, because without that, all you're gonna be able to do is throw time and money at the truck, and hope something sticks. Proper troubleshooting is critical.

As far as what to look for, it's been covered here many, many times. Read some threads on the matter, if you see any posts by a guy named captain hook, do exactly what he said
​​​​​​

Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Read some threads on the matter​​​​​​
You know, I did actually look this problem up both here and on google and I did not find anything regarding this specific problem, hence why I made this thread. I look stuff like this up all of the time, and if I saw anything helpful then I would not be asking for information on it.

So why don't you just unveil the mystery and please explain what I should be looking for with a fuel pressure gauge in regards to air entering the fuel lines.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

The weird thing is, the pump is in the tank (as I'm sure you know), so the whole supply side of the system is under pressure when the pump is operating. Any place that air could leak in when it's not running should spray fuel when it is.

How much fuel is in the tank?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your leaking static pressure thus the need for that pressure check. Something is bleeding backwards towards tank drawing air from manifold end of things when sitting. Save yourself the headache- these engines are very picky about the fuel pressure and the forum is littered with issues from it. You asked forum, honest views given. Once air gets in takes more pressure to compress it to move it unlike fuel which is more dense. Pressure test it. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran

So why don't you just unveil the mystery and please explain what I should be looking for with a fuel pressure gauge in regards to air entering the fuel lines.
Not trying to be a jerk, but those threads you've claimed to read unveil the mystery of fuel pressure pretty well. You need around 58-62 psi at the test port with key on engine off. Wait ten minutes, see how much it's leaked down. Does it leak down too much? You have something not holding pressure, either the pump or the fpr.

Obtain the pressure tester, tell us your results, and we can go from there. Otherwise, it's just conjecture

Heres the other thing. If you somehow have air leaking into your fuel lines, then there is a leak. So, when the pump is pushing 100 psi into those fuel lines, you would think there would be a fuel leak. Have you inspected the fuel lines for leaks with the truck running
​​​​​

Last edited by cleburne red; 03-13-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:30 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

You know, I did actually look this problem up both here and on google and I did not find anything regarding this specific problem, hence why I made this thread. I look stuff like this up all of the time, and if I saw anything helpful then I would not be asking for information on it.
When people are trying to help you CHECK THE ATTITUDE at the door.
As the old saying goes keep the words warm and sweet an not bitter as you never know when you will have to eat and choke them down.....

Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Well said but odd to have to say it, poster shows being a member here a long ways back. Guess thought is how can air get in front of pump and end up at the valve? The only answer is there must be a leak. It did not evaporate. *puts on Mr Spock outfit* logically speaking when engine off air is coming in from engine side of things allowing fuel to seep by gravity towards tank (no vacuum like blockage- think finger on top of a soda straw full of soda) and when you restart, pump pushes that air with fuel behind it towards engine. That pressure testing would help. Heck for all we know the shrader valve is acting like a check valve allowing air in when off but no fuel out when under pressure, very unlikely but I think point made.

Quick Reply: 1999 Air in fuel line