Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1999 Chevy Blazer won't turn over in park! Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Lathrop2259 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1999 Chevy Blazer won't turn over in park! Help

Okay so the story goes I bought a 99 Chevy Blazer for cheap from a co-worker because it was having a misfire and he didn't want to mess with it and long story short it started knocking after I found the problem( it was leaking gas into the oil because of a bad fuel pressure regulator). So I bought another motor and have been installing it, but I went to turn it over today after putting in the "new" starter (I bought it before because it thought it went bad with the last motor) but anyways I got it in and it will not turn over in park, but i can put it in neutral and it cranks just fine? I put it back into park and same thing it will not crank, I can't even hand crank it off of the crankshaft pulley, but back into neutral it turns just fine. I am so lost on what is wrong... I know enough about vehicles to work on them but I have never had this problem before, What could be causing it not to crank in park but it will in neutral? It's a slow crank when in neutral, and the lights on the dash flicker and it makes a weird fast clicking noises when I try in park.

Sorry if i seem to be everywhere on this post and is confusing, I am currently at work and still trying to figure out whats wrong with the Blazer
Anything would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 11-18-2019, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Could the gear selector on the transmission be misaligned so that the start switch is disabled because it "thinks" it is not in Park?

Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 PM

There is a possibility that could be it, but it shows up that it is fully in park. I was reading some stuff and I was kinda leaning towards the neutral safety switch could be bad, but that doesn't make sense on why I can't hand crank it while it is in park

Old 11-18-2019, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

My vote is the neutral safety switch. Had the same thing happen on another vehicle back a few years.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:16 PM

I will look into it, probably won't get a lot of time to work on it tell this weekend. Can we post videos on here? I would gladly take one and post it if I can in order to get out some more information, so it would be easier to maybe point me in the correct direction.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Starting Member
03jawja is on a distinguished road

Neutral safety switch

Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Just because it shows it's in park doesn't mean the trans is in park. It's really easy to click the trans into park by hand underneath just be sure too chock the wheels first in case you go the wrong way. I had the same issue with mine years ago and ended up replacing the shift cable and never had a problem again.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:11 PM

But would the neutral safety switch cause it to where I couldn't crank the motor over by hand to while just in park? I have no plugs in it , so I figured it shouldn't be that hard

Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Never mind on the last reply post I just realized what you are trying to say...
Its been along day

Thanks I will look at it tomorrow

Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

As mentioned check shift cable, neutral safety switch and as when the starter does work and it seems slow cranking and not being able to turn it over by hand check and see if starter needs shimmed it could be binding you ....

Quick Reply: 1999 Chevy Blazer won't turn over in park! Help