Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1999 Chevy Blazer won't turn over in park! Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Lathrop2259 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Originally Posted by odat
As mentioned check shift cable, neutral safety switch and as when the starter does work and it seems slow cranking and not being able to turn it over by hand check and see if starter needs shimmed it could be binding you ....

I am like 90% sure it was cranking slowly because it was an old weak battery out of another one of my vehicles , it was also cheap so I really need to invest in a new battery anyway

Old 11-19-2019, 11:28 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lathrop2259
I am like 90% sure it was cranking slowly because it was an old weak battery out of another one of my vehicles , it was also cheap so I really need to invest in a new battery anyway
Ok - that may explain the slow cranking with starter but not the other turning by hand.
It could be as easy as not enough grip to roll it over to things as starter bind, torque converter not seated in pump binding the pump gears,
I had a vehicle come into my shop and when they had installed the new/used motor they had left the old pilot bearing in the end of the crank. By doing so it had shoved the torque converter back into the pump gears and it's housing. When converter was unbolted from the flex plate the flex plate unbowed and there was a 1/4" to a 3/8" gap between the two.
As it's a automatic everything should freewheel intill the engine is running creating fluid pressure with the front pump

Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Lathrop2259 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat
Ok - that may explain the slow cranking with starter but not the other turning by hand.
It could be as easy as not enough grip to roll it over to things as starter bind, torque converter not seated in pump binding the pump gears,
I had a vehicle come into my shop and when they had installed the new/used motor they had left the old pilot bearing in the end of the crank. By doing so it had shoved the torque converter back into the pump gears and it's housing. When converter was unbolted from the flex plate the flex plate unbowed and there was a 1/4" to a 3/8" gap between the two.
As it's a automatic everything should freewheel intill the engine is running creating fluid pressure with the front pump
Is there a possibility that the torque converter isn't seated right and it causing these problems? And if so why would it crank in neutral and I am able to hand spin it in neutral if the torque converter isn't aligned? And same goes with the starter, why would it spin fine in one but not the other?

I am really starting to think it's the neutral safety switch or it's misaligned shift cable... I actually just got outside to look at it but decided to put the battery on the charger for a bit maybe I could use it for now until I can go get another

Old 11-20-2019, 01:24 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I had missed the point that it spinns by hand in neutral - shift cable or neutral switch should not stop it from spinning by hand - it should free wheel as long as the engine isn't running - and everything should spin free until hydrolic pressure is built up.
If the torque converter isn't seated right and has jammed the center input shaft and putting enough pressure thu out the transmission to bind all internals the parking paul will stop it from turning.
If you have internals bound that bad it may have damaged the transmission - time will tell -
Unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, when unbolted torque converter should spin free by hand.