Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2.8l or 4.3l

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

This place will answer any question you could ever have for putting in a V8. And just forget about the 305, go 350 instead.

Edit: Forgot the link!

http://v8s10.org/

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member
sammyboi is on a distinguished road

do you think my 3.8L v6 would drop right in cause if it would the would be good to right?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, it won't. The problem with the 3.8L is that there are very few (if any - can't quite remember) that are longitudinal mount. Transverse mount engines do not have motor mount provisions on the sides of the engine meaning that you would have to do some sort of a front/mid plate setup to mount it. $$$ and not worth the trouble.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
No, it won't. The problem with the 3.8L is that there are very few (if any - can't quite remember) that are longitudinal mount. Transverse mount engines do not have motor mount provisions on the sides of the engine meaning that you would have to do some sort of a front/mid plate setup to mount it. $$$ and not worth the trouble.

3.8s came in the late year 95 and on f-bodies.

The 3.8 to s-series swap has been talked about for years but I've yet to see anybody do the headache of putting one in. What would be the point of all the trouble when a v8 produces more power and is just as easy?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's right. It isn't the engine mounts, but the yet again different transmission bolt pattern. The 3.8L engines used in the 90's RWD apps had the buick bolt pattern which is different from the 2.8/3.4L bolt pattern. Well, that is unless you are talking about the early 80's Chevy 3.8L v6 which was just a 305 w/ two less cylinders much like the 4.3L to the 350... But why would you want to go back that route.

I remember reading that the 3.8L FWD applications used the same bolt pattern as the 2.8/3.4L. That's where I was remembering the whole lack of motor mounts thing from.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Beginning Member
bjamick is on a distinguished road

If I were to do an engine swap I would go to a V8. That's just me though.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Beginning Member
sammyboi is on a distinguished road

so how would i change my truck from being fuel injected to carburated like would i have to change the computer? and what else

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Newform is on a distinguished road

what year does the 3.4L camaro/firebird have to be from?