Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 Blazer starting and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member
bunson70 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer starting and rough idle

Last Monday my Blazer started, ran for a few seconds, then died. I tried to starting it again. It ran for a half a second then died again. After that, I couldn't get it to even pop over. The temperature was nine below zero. I had this happen two years ago. We had a cold stretch of weather. It was thirty five below for about a week. The truck wouldn't start. It did the same thing that I described at the beginning of this post. Last night, the Blazer sat for a couple of hours. I hopped in started it up. It ran really rough for a couple of seconds, about six to seven hundred RPM's. It sounded like it was going to choke off. Then it would idle really high for a few seconds, about fourteen hundred RPM's. After that, idle would smooth out. This had happened in the past. My mechanic said it was most likely the fuel pressure regulator. I replaced it. It seemed to fix the problem. Now, here I am two years later with the same problem. I went to O'Reilly's last night and bought another fuel pressure regulator and plenum gasket. I got the BWD regulator this time. Before I replace it again, do you guys think it is the reason for the no starting and rough idle? I should mention, my dad and I pulled the fuel pump relay and turned the engine over many, many, many, many times to get the Blazer to run. This was when we had the -35 weather a couple of years ago. And, we had to do the same procedure this past Monday when the temperature was -9. Thank you.

Last edited by bunson70; 12-31-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Why dont you try a block heater?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Starting Member
Jason Sharpless is on a distinguished road
Default I

Originally Posted by bunson70
Last Monday my Blazer started, ran for a few seconds, then died. I tried to starting it again. It ran for a half a second then died again. After that, I couldn't get it to even pop over. The temperature was nine below zero. I had this happen two years ago. We had a cold stretch of weather. It was thirty five below for about a week. The truck wouldn't start. It did the same thing that I described at the beginning of this post. Last night, the Blazer sat for a couple of hours. I hopped in started it up. It ran really rough for a couple of seconds, about six to seven hundred RPM's. It sounded like it was going to choke off. Then it would idle really high for a few seconds, about fourteen hundred RPM's. After that, idle would smooth out. This had happened in the past. My mechanic said it was most likely the fuel pressure regulator. I replaced it. It seemed to fix the problem. Now, here I am two years later with the same problem. I went to O'Reilly's last night and bought another fuel pressure regulator and plenum gasket. I got the BWD regulator this time. Before I replace it again, do you guys think it is the reason for the no starting and rough idle? I should mention, my dad and I pulled the fuel pump relay and turned the engine over many, many, many, many times to get the Blazer to run. This was when we had the -35 weather a couple of years ago. And, we had to do the same procedure this past Monday when the temperature was -9. Thank you.
get your idle control valve on a throttle body prayer about 30 bucks I run like a top

Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member
bunson70 is on a distinguished road

I'll try the idle control valve. I thought about putting in a block heater. The Blazer should start and run decently.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

They all start rough in the cold. funny noises and everything