Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 s10 blazer engine and trans headache

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 s10 blazer engine and trans headache

OK im going to apologize now so i don't have to later.
i have a 2000 s10 with a 4.3 sfi. im trying to get the engine out but its fighting me at every turn, i cant get the bellhousing bolts out cause the firewall is in the way.
also the bell-housing is like a standard trans and since its an automatic im wondering how im going to get the torque converter off the flexplate ,and with no wiggle room to get the engine past the front diff..
im ready to get out the liquid wrench and hack the mother out of the damn thing.

please help

Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remove the starter to get at the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

You can get enough room to pull the transmission bellhousing bolts by removing the transmission cross member and carefully dropping the back end of the transmission down until you can get a few long extensions with either a swivel socket or a wobble extension w/ socket on the bolts. Be careful because you can damage the distributor if it is still installed in the engine.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You have to remove the starter to get at the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

You can get enough room to pull the transmission bellhousing bolts by removing the transmission cross member and carefully dropping the back end of the transmission down until you can get a few long extensions with either a swivel socket or a wobble extension w/ socket on the bolts. Be careful because you can damage the distributor if it is still installed in the engine.
thank you. i got the starter out already, after jacking up the engine to get the damn to fall out. what a pain in the @##.
ive already pulled the distributor. had to to get access to the wiring harness and the rear of the engine . not happy about dropping the trans to get to the bolts on the bell-housing. 4wd and all that ya know. i only want the engine out. damn engineers at gm. they should be forced to work on their own designs. might give them some insight into their lunacy.

but again thanks for the help. i will try these things in the morning if i can get my hands to work after smashing and gouging the crap out of them trying to reach things in the so called engine compartment.