Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rusted Body Mounts Headache!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
lakeblazer91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rusted Body Mounts Headache!

In the process of replacing engine and installing Body Lift, I seem to be spinning the whole body mount without loosening bolt like its rusted internally in body? How can i repair rusted body mounts ? What do i need to do to gain access to upper part of mount? Also one bolt was rusted out in middle and snapped off how would i go about getting that out? Am i pretty much screwed or should i just torch em off and try to refab the rusted upper mounts?Nothing seems to be going right.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rusted Body Mounts Headache!

Where is the mount?
You could probably drill through the body and button weld it back in place and then remove the bolt as usual. Spray the bejesus out of the bolt with Pb Blaster.

As far as the snapped bolt. If it's to far down to get any kind of grip on it...Try taking a drill bit, smaller than the bolt, and making a pilot hole and use a bolt extractor. I prefer the square shaped ones, they seem to be sturdier. As before spray the bejesus out of that bolt. Anything you can do to help free up that bolt might make this ordeal easier.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have spun the cage nuts. About the only way to remedy this is to cut holes in the floor above each mount so that you can get a hold of the square nut to remove the mount bolts. With the one that is snapped off, you will have to remove it intact through the hole you cut.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 PM
lakeblazer91 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for reply im going to try cutting floor to get to body mount under drivers floor and passengers front mounts. hopefully once all are loose i can jack up body and get some heat and vise grips on broken ones. ill remember not to post in other areas but i didnt know what area my problem was more related to! thanks again

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a 1.5" hole saw and use some oil as a lubricant.