Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 Blazer don't start... Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 AM
archangel is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2001 Blazer don't start... Help !!!

Hello,

Last saturday my father bought for my mother a 2001 Blazer with a 4.3L Vortec engine.
Sunday, we tried the car and everything was fine, so in the evening I parked the car.
Last wednesday, my mother tried to use the car for the first time but it didn't start. Since, we tried to start it but nothing at all
We open the car with the remote control, the "security" light on the dashboard turn off but nothing. The engine don't start at all, even for few seconds.
I tried to spray Start Pilot in the "carb" and the engine start for 1-2 seconds. So it seems that the problem is located with the fuel line, but I can heard the fuel pump when I turn the key.
You can imagine how much my mother is discouraged...

So any help will be greetly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that the engine tries to turn over but won't start, or that it does not even try to turn over? If the former,check out this thread. If the latter, then check the battery and starter.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Hello,

First I want to apologyze for all these days without any message but I have to wait some tools and parts.
Then, I would like to thanks rriddle3 (and Blazerforum.com) for his help.
So, I can now give you the end of my storie : yes, it was the fuel pump ...
I ordered a fuel pressure gauge and checked the fuel pressure on the engine valve : about 40 PSI... I checked it just before the fuel filter : same value.
So I ordered a brand new fuel pump and replace it. First test : the engine start as soon as I turned the key on.
The fuel pump has been already changed by a previous owner at only 41 500 miles. An now again at 56 0000 miles ...
So :
- if one day your car works fine and the next day the engine don't want to start at all
- you are sure to have fuel in the tank
- even if you can heard the fuel pump
- there's no default light on the instrument panel.
There's a big probability that your fuel pump is almost died.
I hope that it can help.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the props and I'm so glad you got the problem repaired. It's the consensus here that AC/Delco or Delphi pumps (is that what you put in?) are the way to go for these trucks. There have just been too many issues with other brands.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
jdsavage is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Thanks for the props and I'm so glad you got the problem repaired. It's the consensus here that AC/Delco or Delphi pumps (is that what you put in?) are the way to go for these trucks. There have just been too many issues with other brands.
Maybe that's the problem with my blazer - I bought an aftermarket one from TREperformance and thought for sure it would be good - I'll check into it if a new FPR doesn't end up fixing the problem.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:28 PM

The defective fuel pump was an Airtex.
Even if I was almost certain that the problem was the fuel pump, I didn't want to waste $300 in a AC/Delco or Delphi pump.
So for this time, I bought a "no brand" fuel pump (only $112). Now that I'm sure that the car works, next time I will buy an AC/Delco or a Delphi.