Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3L No Reverse - 130K miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM
MomtheTruck'sBroke is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3L No Reverse - 130K miles

My son started his truck today and could not back out of the driveway. No reverse. We heard some chirpy noises, like a slipping belt or something, but couldn't tell where they were coming from when we tried to pinpoint the source. Anyway, he let the truck roll down out of the driveway onto the level street and then tried a few times to shift between drive and reverse to get it to slip into gear. Sometimes reverse engages, but mostly it doesn't. After reading through many of these threads, seems like it could be the sun shell. Trying to decide how capable we are of doing of this ourselves, especially if it ends up being more than the sun shell. Sigh. Thanks to forums like this and You Tube, we've managed a few repairs to this Blazer and to my Nissan, and our dryer, refrigerator and washing machine. We're not afraid to try and to learn. But it takes us sooooo long. I'm a single mom, one income family. My boys and I are learning as we go. Transmissions seem scary and high potential to cause more damage if we mess up. Is it worth trying to mess with this issue ourselves, having zero experience with transmissions, or is it better to save up and pay for a rebuilt transmission at this point? Thanks for any advice and resources!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Clintgunter is on a distinguished road

https://www.transmissionbench.com/ I do them all the time, but yours sound like the reverse clutch's are going out/gone very simple but requires patience and time for a first timer hope this helps

Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
MomtheTruck'sBroke is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Clintgunter
https://www.transmissionbench.com/ I do them all the time, but yours sound like the reverse clutch's are going out/gone very simple but requires patience and time for a first timer hope this helps
Thanks for the input! Not sure we have the patience, but we may not have a choice financially! We also noticed a pretty steady drip of water right near the passenger side bumper this morning and there is quite a bit of oil from a leak somewhere at the front of the engine by the radiator. I think we're in over our heads as far as diagnostics. Gonna see if we can get someone knowledgeable to help us troubleshoot and the decide what we can and can't repair on our own.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

if you have no reverse, 2nd, or fourth, but have 1st and third gears it is a sunshell.

Start by checking trans fluid on a level surface with the engine running. Note level, color, and smell.

Oil leak will be the oil cooler hoses (common on Blazers)

Old 10-14-2022, 05:46 PM
Starting Member
MommaKay4 is on a distinguished road
Default 177777 miles lost reverse

Originally Posted by LesMyer
if you have no reverse, 2nd, or fourth, but have 1st and third gears it is a sunshell.

Start by checking trans fluid on a level surface with the engine running. Note level, color, and smell.

Oil leak will be the oil cooler hoses (common on Blazers)
my son just lost reverse and second slips. Where is the sun shell and how can I help him replace it? 4th sometimes was hard too.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:38 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

You have zero reverse and zero second gear if sunshell goes.

Sunshell is a major component inside the transmission, which would have to come out and be disassembled.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member
Rodney gullion is on a distinguished road
Default No reverse

Originally Posted by MomtheTruck'sBroke
My son started his truck today and could not back out of the driveway. No reverse. We heard some chirpy noises, like a slipping belt or something, but couldn't tell where they were coming from when we tried to pinpoint the source. Anyway, he let the truck roll down out of the driveway onto the level street and then tried a few times to shift between drive and reverse to get it to slip into gear. Sometimes reverse engages, but mostly it doesn't. After reading through many of these threads, seems like it could be the sun shell. Trying to decide how capable we are of doing of this ourselves, especially if it ends up being more than the sun shell. Sigh. Thanks to forums like this and You Tube, we've managed a few repairs to this Blazer and to my Nissan, and our dryer, refrigerator and washing machine. We're not afraid to try and to learn. But it takes us sooooo long. I'm a single mom, one income family. My boys and I are learning as we go. Transmissions seem scary and high potential to cause more damage if we mess up. Is it worth trying to mess with this issue ourselves, having zero experience with transmissions, or is it better to save up and pay for a rebuilt transmission at this point? Thanks for any advice and resources!
I believe that transmission uses a solenoid am I correct it could be failing or you could have a issue between it and the shifter