Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2001 Overdrive Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Blazer Chik is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Overdrive Issue

I have a 2001 4x4 with a 4.3 that has 107K on it. In August, I had a transmission and torque converter put in. Only in the last two months or so have I had an issue - when traveling at highway speeds (55-65), it will suddenly snap out of overdrive for a second, and then go right back in. Sometimes the downshift is gentle, and sometimes it isn't so gentle (certainly not a comfortable feeling when you're on the highway, either way). It only does it intermittently (not every time I'm on the highway), and some trips it will do it 2 or 3 times, while other trips it will do it every few minutes. The fluid is fine (full and clean).

I've had people tell me that it's due to wind (that the 4.3 can't handle going up and down mountains when it's windy), but I have a hard time buying into that. I've also been told it could be the TPS. Someone else suggested that a caliper could be hanging up and sending bad signals to the speed sensors, causing the issue.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with it and might be able to make a suggestion before I throw a ton more money at this thing. I have to note that I haven't changed the TPS, but I did front wheel hubs, bearings, and brake pads about two months ago.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum!
Is the check engine light on? ABS light? When it does this have you noticed how much the RPMs change?

Brad

Old 03-08-2019, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

When I had a real bad atf leak, it would unlock and lock the torque converter when it was low on fluid. I know you said it was full, but maybe double check.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the welcome...I've skimmed around the forum a bit, and there's tons of great info here!

No lights are on. The ABS light was on before I changed the front hubs and bearings, but went off after they were replaced and hasn't come back on since. The Service Engine Soon light comes on every once in a while, but goes back off on its own and doesn't stay on for more than 10 minutes or so. I haven't noticed how much the RPMs jump because it is always unexpected and really quick...

I've checked for fluid leaks...there are no spots under where I park it, and the dipstick is still reading full (I checked it again this morning).

Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Have a second look at the wheel speed sensors for damage or incorrect wire routing broken connector. The PCM compares wheel speed and vehicle speed for shift strategy. Bad wheel speed sensor may not be enough to set a hard code but enough to give bad reading. Good luck
Brad

Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Just thought I'd post an update in the event that it might benefit someone else in the future.

About a week after posting this, I was driving down the highway doing about 65 when my Blazer simply shut itself off. After getting off the road and putting it in park, it started right back up and I was able to drive the remaining 100 or so miles to my destination (yes, I drive a lot) without any issues whatsoever. I replaced the TPS, and haven't had an issue since (perhaps what I was feeling wasn't actually the tranny coming out of overdrive, maybe it was just "bucking" because of a bad TPS...I can only hope). I haven't yet gone more than 50 miles in a single trip since replacing it, so I guess we will see...

Old 04-01-2019, 04:33 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Hope you figured it out... Welcome to the Blazer community!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

You said that the SES light was on. Did you ever check it for codes?