Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 won't get past 55 or so going uphill

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
goodguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 won't get past 55 or so going uphill

I have a 2002 4 door 2wd, v6... 90,000 miles... Just recently when going uphill and trying to get over 55 or so my blazer just has a hard time getting up over 55mph or so. I'll hit the accelorator and a rattling or pinging kind of sound comes out and my temp slowly climbs a bit. Not over 210 just about at that mark which is not normal for me... Otherwise runs fine, freeway flat driving I can get up to speeds I'm used to 65-80 and up.. I am missing some power getting there, and the noise is slight in this situation, but there...
I've heard anything from exhaust leak to push rods, to transmission, tobla bla bla... Any advice on what it could be. I'm going to get it looked at by my mechanic, but just to be sure I'd like to have an idea of what it is before hand... Any ideas?
thanks!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2002 won't get past 55 or so going uphill

If it's an early '02, I would say check the EGR valve to see if it needs cleaning. If it's a late '02 I would suspect the catalytic converter being plugged. Give it a good rap with a mallet and see if anything rattles.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Ok, thank you... I was actually thinking that Cat might be an issue. I have on occasion hear a rattling type of sound coming from the Cat area while the car is warming up in the am on cold start. Does this make sense?

Also, once I rap on it with a mallet and if it rattles, what's my next step???
thank you so much!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If it rattles, replace the cat, and possibly the muffler if the insides of the cat have broken loose and migrated to the muffler, plugging it up.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

If it rattles, replace the cat, and possibly the muffler if the insides of the cat have broken loose and migrated to the muffler, plugging it up.
I see.. That's much better than what I feared... I'll check it out tonight and bring it in to my mechanic tomorrow... THANK YOU SIR!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM

If the catalytic converter was plugged, wouldn't the check engine light be coming on? I have had no light come on during all this...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
BF Guru

Not necessarily. There are also other possible causes of your problem such as plugged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, spark plugs and wires needing replacement, etc.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Cool, thank you!
I just got a new fuel pump back about 30,000 miles ago at the most. This feels like a different problem all together than that was. But I have a place to start now... Thanks again, I'll be taking her in asap.
thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

FYI.. I needed a new Catalytic Converter and a Mass air flow sensor... Running like a champ now!
THanks allot!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
BF Guru

Glad we were able to help a little.

Quick Reply: 2002 won't get past 55 or so going uphill