Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 Xtreme wont hold fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member
ynky is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Xtreme wont hold fuel pressure

Hi, I have 2002 Xtreme 4.3 it looses fuel pressure I replaced fuel pump assembly 2x, new filter ,regulator 2x and if I get the truck running it will go all day but if it sits for a hour or more I play hell to make restart not sure where to look from here any help will be greatly appreciated. ps I think the spider too.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I'd guess spider as well. Not much else it could be.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'm assuming you have done a leak down test since you say it's losing pressure correct? You can try looking through the TB and see if there are any "washed" spots from leaking fuel in the intake. There won't always be spots but its a cheap easy place to start. Leaky spiders aren't uncommon in these things do some searching and you will find all kinds of info on the subject

Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

are you using a cheap fuel pump? These things are picky on pumps.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the reply"s yes i did the leak down test it seem to only get fuel while the motor being turned over, after no pressure. and the pump that in it now is oem ac delco. i will look at the tb.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member

thank for the reply I was wondering if anyone knows about the ball valve that some posted on here. I put one together in place of the filter and closed it when the fuel pump stopped and still looses pressure quickly 60 - 0 in a few seconds should it keep pressure from the tank to the valve?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member
Default replaced spider

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I'm assuming you have done a leak down test since you say it's losing pressure correct? You can try looking through the TB and see if there are any "washed" spots from leaking fuel in the intake. There won't always be spots but its a cheap easy place to start. Leaky spiders aren't uncommon in these things do some searching and you will find all kinds of info on the subject
Hi I replaced the spider and have fuel pressure, now it goes to 60 and drope to around 55-50 and holds but still no start, i put a ball valve in place of the filter to check leak down will the filter not being in place cause it not to start?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the spider and have fuel pressure, now it goes to 60 and drope to around 55-50 and holds but still no start, i put a ball valve in place of the filter to check leak down will the filter not being in place cause it not to start?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As long as the ball valve is open, and fuel can pass through it, there should be fuel pressure at the service port.

With the ignition in the OFF position, connect a jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump prime terminal in the underhood fuse panel.
Name:  DSC_0154-Copy-1.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  12.8 KB

When the fuel pressure stabilizes, it should be 60psi to 66psi. Remove the jumper and pressure must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Post your results.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
As long as the ball valve is open, and fuel can pass through it, there should be fuel pressure at the service port.

With the ignition in the OFF position, connect a jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump prime terminal in the underhood fuse panel.

When the fuel pressure stabilizes, it should be 60psi to 66psi. Remove the jumper and pressure must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Post your results.
ok i will do this and post the results.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Xtreme wont hold fuel pressure-dsc_0154-copy-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2002 Xtreme wont hold fuel pressure