Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

#3 plug ok to leave?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default #3 plug ok to leave?

Ok I changed my plugs the other day and the plug wear wasnt that bad the only plugged I didn't want to struggle with was the #3. Is it ok to leave the delco that was in there that should be like the others I removedand only shows some wear or should I really try to get that out and replace it with the Bosch Platnium Plus that the others have now?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: #3 plug ok to leave?

Id try to get it out. I got a spare sp socket, and cut about 1/4" off the end. Took 15 min to change it after I did that.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope you don't have to remove the Bosch plugs to replace them with AC Delco like some others have had to do because they learned that the Bosch plugs were causing problems.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Yah hopefully they will be fine I saw other places that said they were fine. It may be due to the larger gap in the Bravad. My Bravada has a .060 instead of the .045 ive seen for the blazers and s10s. I dont plan on having it too much longer anyway its getting old so they should last that long.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The newer trucks should all be 0.060 not just your bravada. And yeah... I wouldn't use Bosch plugs if they were giving them away like candy at a parade.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

I did .050 as per the NGK rep. .010 smaller gap will help with the torque apparently. Seems to be good for me.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 AM
AlaskanGrizz is an unknown quantity at this point

I would remove all old plugs regardless of what wear it may have on it. Different plugs will effect the rate of spark no matter how simliar they may seem. Your Delco plug will not fire at the exact same right as the Bosh's. If you leave it in there with new plugs then you may run into a failure rate quicker than normal. If your having problem with the number 3 plug becuase of the angle then remove the tire from that side and you can easily access it through the hole where that rubber pad comes down to prevent wheel well sludge from hitting the engine. Just lift that up and you should be good to go. I did that on both sides of my Blazer and it was a hell of a lot easier to access the plugs. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM

#3 is the one behind the steering shaft, ive tried a wobble it wouldn't fit due to steering shaft, tried a closed end ratchet wrench and plug socket wouldn't fit due to heat shield. I don't think removing the rubber steering guard will gain me enough and I dont want to try to remove the steering shaft.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

remove the steering shaft. takes 10 mins to change the plugg then. just dont turn the wheel while its off and youll be fine.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
jzcam is an unknown quantity at this point

Use a plug socket with a shorty closed end wrench, crack it loose, then through the wheel well, with wheels turned to the right for more room, stick a piece of rubber fuel line (about 6-10 inches long) on the plug and spin it out. The hose trick works on many vehicles when you can't get your hands where you want them. Reverse procedure for install. This takes me less than 10 minutes. I would not un-hook stearing collum.

Quick Reply: #3 plug ok to leave?