Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

#3 plug ok to leave?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: #3 plug ok to leave?

Do yourself a favor and get the bosch plugs out of the engine,,, I tried them in mine and they suk!!!!!! I reput Ac Delco plugs this past weekend #41-993 is the new part # .60 gap. as far as trying to get the #3 plug out what i did was bought a swivel ratcheting wrench and used the normal spark plug socket get it loose to a certain point then take the wrench out you can turn the socket with your fingers to get it out the rest of the way, just be careful putting the new oneback in dont cross thread it... I paid 16$ for the wrench....well worth it...dont back the plug out too far with the wrench if you do you`ll jam the wrench in between the shaft and socket and wont be able to get it out unless you tighten the the plug back up a little... you`ll see ...

Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Russell.Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point

Bosch spark plugs are made for hot running engines only!!!! factory super or tubrocharged engines. thats why they crap out so fast in an ordinary engine. I replaced my orignal plugs with AC Delco platinum, my blazer runs awesome.

I got my #3 plug out by removing the streeing column from the gear box only one bolt, then I used a long crowbar and slid it off the and moved it up out of the way piece of cake.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow this thread is old now, I havent pulled it out yet I dont dare to try to drop the steering colum since everything is rusty as I have as many days with salt on the ground as I do with clean ground. So far I have had no issues with the bosch platnium plus plugs in the engine.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man -- I'll tell you the easiest way to get that sucker off.. no cutting or anythingelse req'd, and I've tried pretty much all the ways.

You need:

1 normal spark plug socket with 6 sided wrenchable end(most are like this anyway, but check yours)

1 closed end offset ratchet wrench SAE - $6 for a set @http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90007

A: remove sp boot

B: slide on sp socket

C: put offset wrench on end of spark plug socket and turn

D: Voila - you have removed #3 sp in under a minute, even if it's sticky and needs several forceful turns

You have to go in through the wheel well, just behind the steering shaft.

Also, if you get that set, you can use the 5/8 to remove the distributor hold-down bolt very easily, which alot of people complain about beingdifficult and slow to remove, too.

There is a crows-foot like socket just for the #3 sp on these S and T GM trucks from Snap-On, but it's like $40. This way is easier, just as fast or faster, and cheap. Great for if you are going to use sea foam and want to stick in spare set of crappy plugs so you don't foul your good platinums.

Good luck. But you won't need any, trust me.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Yah I have those wrenches minus the colors that they added recently. Maybe my socket it slightly to shallow because it doesnt stick out past my manifold heat shield.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to go in through the wheel well, if you aren't already. You'll want to put the wrench on through the opening just behind (toward the rear bumper) the steering shaft, avoiding the brake lines there. It does make it easier to remove the wheel to do this, but you can also just turn it out of the way possibly.

The socket doesn't have to be on all the way either, but that shouldn't really matter doing it this way. My sp socket is normal sized and does it just fine. I'm assuming you were tryingto do it from the engine bay. If not, you would just need to fidget with it because it definitely works, as I've done it on both of my blazers with clearance to spare.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Yah I am doing it from the wheel well I think my socket is slightly shallow it only bites the edge of the plug as it is without backing it off. I will have to look at some others.