Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E CTF and non CTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
jlhamm is on a distinguished road
Default 4L60E CTF and non CTF

Can anyone tell me the difference between the CTF and non CTF 4L60E? The only thing I have been able to find is that there is an "internal design change", and that was from my local dealer and multiple salvage yards.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If CTF means 'Computerized Transmission Function', then all 4L60E's would be CTF... I can find no reference to CTF in my ATSG 4L60E manuals though (or any of my references for that matter).

What is the context behind this question? What are you driving?

In 95, the 4L60E was updated to include a TCC (torque converter clutch) PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid which would gradually apply the TCC when lockup was requested. These transmissions are not backwards compatible to the 93-94 4L60E applications as the ECU in these trucks does not have the proper programming to control the TCC PWM solenoid.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Default CTF and non CTF

I just bought a 94 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a bad transmission, and it has the option of either the CTF or non CTF. Everything shows that the CTF is the one with the internal change. I know that it has a 4L60E in it now, since I have changed the fluid and filter. I was told by my dealer that mine is not the CTF option, and I have a friend with a used transmission that shows to be the CTF that I want to install.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i know a used one is always cheaper (in the begining) than a rebuild, but have you priced one out?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 AM

Im looking to get a used one from a friend out of a wrecked blazer, thats why I am trying to find the differences(if there are any). Otherwise I will go salvage for it. This is just going to be a low-buck winter beater, so Im trying to keep things as cheap as possible.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, CTF does not show up anywhere in any of the official documentation that I have.

A 4L60E out of any 93-94 GM 4wd vehicle will work according to my interchange list. Anything 95+ will have the TCC PWM solenoid and are therefore not compatible with your truck.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=jlhamm;260061]Im looking to get a used one from a friend out of a wrecked blazer, thats why I am trying to find the differences(if there are any). Otherwise I will go salvage for it. This is just going to be a low-buck winter beater, so Im trying to keep things as cheap as possible.[/quote]

and, as we all know, that route will never leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, during the worst day all Winter.