Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4l60e removal trouble!

Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Dkarll88 is on a distinguished road
Default 4l60e removal trouble!

Okay doing a trans removal for a bench rebuild on my brothers 98 4x4 4 door 4.3 blazer. This isnt my first trans removal on these 4l60e's ive done a few silverados and my 95 blazer which i knew was a different bellhousing but i got cocky thinking that it would be a breeze with my 3' worth of extensions and a universal. Ive got everything removed besides exhaust and the two bellhousing bolts on the sides up high. Not the top two but just below them. Ive been trying everything from removing body mounts on drivers side and lift the cab and lowing the trans as much as possible. Any help would be great. Also can the trans come out with exhaust still in? Bolts are destroyed from previous owner and i dont want to cut them all off! Thanks!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dkarll88
Okay doing a trans removal for a bench rebuild on my brothers 98 4x4 4 door 4.3 blazer. This isnt my first trans removal on these 4l60e's ive done a few silverados and my 95 blazer which i knew was a different bellhousing but i got cocky thinking that it would be a breeze with my 3' worth of extensions and a universal. Ive got everything removed besides exhaust and the two bellhousing bolts on the sides up high. Not the top two but just below them. Ive been trying everything from removing body mounts on drivers side and lift the cab and lowing the trans as much as possible. Any help would be great. Also can the trans come out with exhaust still in? Bolts are destroyed from previous owner and i dont want to cut them all off! Thanks!
if you're removing the trans just remove the crossmember and lower the rear until you can get at the bolts. Take the exhaust off.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Depending on just how far back your engine mounts let the engine roll back you might want to remove the dist. first or at least the cap.....

Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

I have seen guys use 3-4 feet of extensions or cut a hole in the floorboard to get to those bolts. Some remove the cross member to drop the rear of the trans to get access to them. I pulled the motor from my 2000 ZR2 and you have to remove the front body mounts under the radiator and jack the front end up enough to get access to those bolts. That's what the manual calls for because of the tight access. I found it easier doing that than dropping the rear end of the trans. as mine has a welded in crossbar that limits how far the rear of the trans. will drop. I do think you have to remove the exhaust though because of clearance issues. Do a Google and YouTube search on this as there is a lot of info because so many have this exact problem .

Old 03-17-2019, 10:15 PM
Dkarll88 is on a distinguished road

Ended up getting them once exhaust was removed and i cut a small groove into a wrench to allow me to get it started. Thanks for all the help guys!