Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60E shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
mattdunning is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4L60E shift linkage

so my tranny goes out the other day [:@] and i removed it and took it to a tranny shop for rebuild. now that i put it back in all is well except for the shift linkage. i cant get the stinkin thing to go all the way to park. it goes to the park position on the shifter but the little p isnt lit up and it wont start unless i put it into neutral. is there any take up for the little bit of slack in the shift cable or any way to adjust this so it goes all the way into park? i can get under there and move the linkage forward a little bit to make it go but this is really aggrevating me now because this has been a smooth removal and install except for this little problem. any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4L60E shift linkage

What are you working on? Column or floor shift?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
mattdunning is an unknown quantity at this point

column shift. its actually on a 98 Chevy Z71 but this is the best forum i have found about this tranny so i came here

Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All necessary information! I did take some liberties as to the rest of the details in order to look up the adjustment procedure. I cannot post the whole procedure as I do not have the time to transcribe it. I can give you the cliff notes version though.

You need to first make sure that both the shifter inside and the transmission are fully in the park position. There is a black retaining clip on the transmission end of the shift cable. Push that forward (away from the cable) and then pull out on the white lock button, but do not pull it completely out. This will free the metal core adjust body which is inside the cable end.

The next step involves inspecting the metal core for dirt/debris and states to wash it with soap and water if present and check for proper travel of the metal core in the cable end. What "proper travel" is, I cannot answer.

Next, turn the ignition to ON, but do not attempt to start the vehicle. Move the shifter from Park to 1 ten times, returning it to Park after the tenth sequence and turn the ignition switch to off.

Back under the vehicle, ensure that the transmission range select lever is in the Park position. Rotate the range select lever clockwise until it reaches the mechanical stop position. Push in the white lock button and slide the black retaining clip rearward over the cable end, covering the white lock button.

You then must ensure that all of the shift light positions engage and illuminate as well as ensure that the vehicle will still only start in Park and Neutral. If either of these tasks cannot be verified, you have to repeat the adjustment.

There are pictures that go along with this as well and I can furnish them if you really need them, however, I do not have the time at present. Hope this helps!