Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4L60e Tranny action OVERDUE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Smile 4L60e Tranny action OVERDUE

Hey guys. Time to get my A into G LOL

I need to start the renovation of my spare tranny.

This is what I've got lined up on e-bay. Anyone dealt with any of these guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4L...item20af4b1a66

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/700-7...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...=item110d322f5

Am I about to order the right parts? Comments & or corrections/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Remember! I'm too far away to send this stuff back if it's wrong! LOL

Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 AM
BF Veteran

Bump! Anybody?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Those last two are what I will be putting in my Rainier at some point. Not too sure about the first one. Is this for your replacement trans? The newer transmissions were better in the valve body.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I would definitely look into upgrading the sun shell, probably the weakest part of the tranny. Good choice on the Transgo shift kit and servos. Take a look at your valve body before replacing it. Yours may be good to go.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Those last two are what I will be putting in my Rainier at some point. Not too sure about the first one. Is this for your replacement trans? The newer transmissions were better in the valve body.
Yea Kyle. Plan is to do the upgrade to the replacement tranny then do the transplant.
Thanks for the reply & I'll be placing my order today.

AJBert - The valve body is what started this whole excercise. For 2 years I've been having the P1870 code trigger the check engine light. Figure by now the tranny is a bit worse for wear having left it so long.

EDIT: In respect of the VB I've asked the guy a question. Waiting now for his reply.

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 03-09-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by AJBert
I would definitely look into upgrading the sun shell, probably the weakest part of the tranny. Good choice on the Transgo shift kit and servos. Take a look at your valve body before replacing it. Yours may be good to go.
What's the "sun shell" ??

Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is a component about 3/4's of the way into the guts of the transmission. Some stock shells have weak splines where they engage the shaft.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Here is an upgrade for the sun shell:

http://racetransmissions.com/store/p...roducts_id/692

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Yep, the 'beast' is the best one you can get. If you already have a transmission out, it isn't much for a shop to swap that in.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see any parts to rebuild the tranny, as in the clutches, gaskets, seals, torque converter. Find a "High Energy" rebuild kit with kevlar clutch packs.

You should also look into the 4/3 kick down mod in the pump.

Couple of things to make your tranny live a nice long life, tranny cooler, temp gage, and drain plug. Drain it once per year and top off with new fluid. Heat is the #1 enemy of transmissions.

Quick Reply: 4L60e Tranny action OVERDUE