Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4x4 not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
thirteen_engines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 not engaging

Hi folks. I'm new to the world of 4x4's and Blazers.

I have a '99 Blazer that was treated pretty rough and is in need of some TLC. Had a broken axle and bearing replaced and the front diff overhauled, new tires and new windshield. Running much smoother now but .. can't seem to get it to go into 4HI or 4LO. In fact none of the drive indicators, 2HI, 4HI, or 4LO is lit.

I like to do my own maintenance and repairs if possible so I'm wondering if this is something I could check out for myself to at least have some idea of what the source of the problem might be. Trying to get ready for winter .. pretty nasty here sometimes. 4x4 would sure come in handy.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 not engaging

If nothing is lit, you need to verify that there is power to the switch in the dash. We recently had a member resolder the joints in his switch and it fixed all of the problems he was having. If your light blinks and returns to the previous mode, then you have a problem elsewhere, but sounds like you have something either in the switch or in the fuse that powers the switch. Check both in the underhood fuse block as well as the fuse block off the end of the dash on the driver's side.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM

Well, I haven't had a chance yet to look at fuses and the switch but ...;. when I started her up this morning the lights lit up like a Madame LaRue pinball machine. I was able to switch back and forth between 2HI and 4HI with no apparent problem. Next time I started the lights were dead again.

Obviously the fuses are ok. Loose connection somewhere maybe? Where would be the best place to look. My Haynes book doesn't include the switch in the wiring diagrams as far as I can tell.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Woke up this morning thinking about this problem. If it were a loose connection surely it would connect/disconnect as I drive ... some of the roads in my area are pretty bumpy. I did not notice this happening. The lights on the switch stayed lit. Is there a sensor involved in lighting the switches?

Noticed one more thing this morning driving to work. Again the lights were lit when I started out and I could switch from 2HI to 4HI but trying to switch to 4LO resulted in the 4LO light flashing.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I do know that 4LO will not engage above a certain speed. It is for slow crawling thru mud etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 PM

I tried engaging 4LO the other day while in park ... light just flashed. A friend suggested that I try moving very slowly while engaging. When I tried this all the lights went out and haven't come back on. Also, the steering feels odd when I turn sharply at slow speed ... like there is some resistance to movement. Does this mean that 4x4 is engaged? If a fuse has gone where I would look to replace it?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM

The 4x4 lights came back on last week ... it *was* in 4HI. Switched back to 2HI. Next time I started it the lights were out again and were still out this morning. Seems completely intermittent to me. Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM

Found the source of the problem. It was the 4X4 switch on the console. Got a replacement at the wrecker's and no more problems.