Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

700r4 load and release and forward sprag rotation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member
Dakota_Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 700r4 load and release and forward sprag rotation

Hello. i have a GM swappers manual, and it says I can (and most rebuilders) leave out the load and release springs (cushin springs) as long as i drill the proper holes in the vb plate? is this true? i have heard if i did this the cluch pack will hit hard, and may not release?

also if I hold the forward (overdrive) sprag with the large part in my hand, and looking at the smaller part of the sprag it should rotate ccw, and if i hold the small part and rotate the large then it will rotate cw? stupid me took it apart cleaned it, and laid it down and got called away.. you know the rest.. duh...... which why did it go??

thanks

Don

Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The removal of the 3-4 load release springs depends on whether you are increasing the 3-4 clutch count. If you are staying with 6 clutches, you do not want to remove the springs. If you are going to 7, 8, or 9 clutches, then you cannot use the stock springs and would have to go with an aftermarket spring kit (like THIS).

I believe that the outer race (larger side) of the forward sprag goes towards the back of the transmission.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
Dakota_Don is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, thanks for the info, but i was wanting to know what direction the spag turns? if i hold the large end in my hand while looking at the smaller end, i think it turns cw..
thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That, I am not sure of... It's been awhile.