Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

700r4 lockup question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned
snakey is on a distinguished road
Default 700r4 lockup question

OK, having searched this particular question I can't find a specific answer. It's really more of a sanity check than anything. OK, here goes.

I just put a new carbed 350 in my 89 with stock trans. Of course, the computer controlled lockup was gone. I didn't remove the wiring to the outside of the tranny so I think it was already gone. In any case, now I believe the solenoid is stuck in the engaged position since it seems as if its locked all the time, but has no power going to it. So, my question is, can I just rip the solenoid out and put her back together and run it without lock up, or does the presence of a solenoid, even a non functional one, keep the TCC from locking? Also, if the solenoid is not the issue, what do I have to do to unlock the TCC and keep it that way? Obviously this was originally a computer/electric thing, but since I have done away with that I want to mechanically ensure it doesn't lock. I would prefer to do it in a manner where I can rig up a lock up at a later date if I want to, but that's not that important to me. This truck is an off road truck and generally won't see a lot of cruising, and a manual swap is planned for the future anyway. Any help would be awesome.

Edit: Well, I decided to just try it and put it all back together sans the solenoid/wiring. Still locked. Shifting gears was a neck jarring, clunking experience followed very quickly by the engine dying. So, since the solenoid question is answered, where do I go from here? I am an automatic tranny amatuer, so I need the technical answer but for a dummy.

Last edited by snakey; 07-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned
snakey is on a distinguished road

Ah, I bet if I had asked how to wire some silly *** neon lights into my interior or showed pictures of the fake wood panelling I just installed in my POS s10 blazer (ignoring the fact that the 4.3 is the only thing even remotely worth remembering about the mini blazers. And the Trailblazer is an utter pile of ****. Even the SS, though a cool idea, is a piece of ****. Most real bow tie guys know this stuff) I probably would have got a lot of replies. But I made the damend fool mistake of asking a real mechanical question, which assured that all I could get was *cricket*cricket*

Thanks anyway. All you guys on here who really know **** and have an idea of how to build col trucks, do your fellow car/truck guys a favor and point them to serious sites. LEave this place for the wannabe 17 year old kids who want to **** themselves over body kits and wish they could build a typhoon out of some ****ty jimmy their grandpa gave them.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... And to think I was actually looking through stuff in some downtime while working and just pulled this thread up to post what I found for you in my free time. Glad I didn't waste even more of my time given that you could barely wait longer than a day before letting us all know what you think of this place... It really shows what you are sir. Kudos and good riddance.