Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

84 k5 tranny/transfer case remove/replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Starting Member
robhill1965 is on a distinguished road
Default 84 k5 tranny/transfer case remove/replace

I have a 1984 K5 with a 700R4. The front seal on the tranny blew out. I removed the tranny and transfer case and replaced it. My problem now is how in the hell do I get that 400 lb monster back in? Supporting it on the cross member with a jack leaves the tranny end heavy plus it wants to tilt to the passenger side due to the offset to the front output on the transfer case. Plus, the bell housing is too wide for the headers to go strait in. I have to lift it over the exhaust first, then slide it forward to clear the headers. I can't manhandle it, it's way too heavy as one whole unit. Can I split the tranny (and where) from the transfer case and put them in separately? Do I need a new gasket? If so, I'm sure I can get the tranny back in but, with no "flat spot" on the transfer case to hold it with a jack and it being off balance due to the front output, I'm at a loss as to how to get the tranfer case back in. Any ideas on how to get it into position to get the bolts started either on the crossmember or the connection to the tranny? I'm thinking I may have to get some help but I don't really have anyone to ask. I'd really appreciate any pointers if anyone has done this before.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah your better putting them in seperately. ive taken them out as one piece but have always put them back one at a time. usually helps to have two people. one stay under there and guide the transmission and the other one work the jack. also make sure you have that torque converter on all the way too. if you have the aluminum transfercase its really not that hard. you can just hoook it on the splines facing any which way then spin it to position to tighten it down. make sure you silicone where they meet up too.

try putting in one of those np203 transfercase. its goofy shaped and weighs 200lbs

Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Starting Member
robhill1965 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
yeah your better putting them in seperately. ive taken them out as one piece but have always put them back one at a time. usually helps to have two people. one stay under there and guide the transmission and the other one work the jack. also make sure you have that torque converter on all the way too. if you have the aluminum transfercase its really not that hard. you can just hoook it on the splines facing any which way then spin it to position to tighten it down. make sure you silicone where they meet up too.

try putting in one of those np203 transfercase. its goofy shaped and weighs 200lbs
It took me 4 tries to get it under the truck. I have a small floor jack and it kept "teetering" plus I had to tilt the bell housing down to clear the frame. Then, somehow, with it right up against the back of the motor, it tilted and slid the jack over. I had to "try" and ease it down. Landed on my hand. $#@*&.
I used a floor jack on each side of the cross member for the transfer case and just held up the tail end. Wasn't too bad. There was no gasket or silicone where the two meet so I didn't use it to put it together. I had to cut a bolt off of the cross member so after a trip to the hardware store tomorrow, I should be back on the road.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Blazer Steve is on a distinguished road

Hello best to split the two apart. Unbolt adapter from trans there will be a square oring, just use a little black RTV on it. Make sure the seal retainer in installed over front seal, keeps it from blowing out on trans. When installing torque converter it has to engage 3 sets of splines.