Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

87' 2.8 v-6 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
bmass2844 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 87' 2.8 v-6 engine problems

so i just bought this 87 s-10 blazer yesterday for $200. the guy says it runs rough, he thinks it is an injector problem. So instead of cranking it to listen to it myself, i start tearing into it. the first thing i see is a 4 inch crack in the intake manifold and the water outlet thermostat housing is broke. I have no idea how that happened. No junk yard around here seems to have an intake manifold for this 2.8. I saw why when i tore the engine down, afteri took the throttle body andvalve covers off, it looks like intake manifold is part of the heads... Im totally stumped on where to go now, do i have to replace the whole engine or does the intake manifold come off? any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance

Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 87' 2.8 v-6 engine problems

The intake manifold does indeed come off. The 60* v6 engines make it seem like they dont though.

If you know someone that can do it, the manifold can be welded up to function again, but prep is everything whether its aluminum or cast iron. If cast iron, you may be able to just braze up the crack on the cheap!

Wonder how it cracked like that???

Anyway, snap some pics of the intake and the crack. I'd like to see it. Plus, its been awhile since I've been troubled by the 2.8L! LOL

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
bmass2844 is an unknown quantity at this point

instead of welding it, i think im just going to take everything apart, clean everything and inspect it to make sure nothing else is broken.
Tonight i didnt try and pry the manifold off, i just kinda looked at it stumped. I guess tomorrowi will try to pry it off and try to find another one at a junkyard.
Now, there are bolts and there are threaded studs with nuts on them, is it necessary to take all of these out to remove the intake?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

if your talking about the stud/bolts that hold the intake to the heads, yes you must take them all out. Plus you will have to pry carefully, dont mare the sealing surface.

If the intake is cracked, use some JB Weld to seal the crack. I used it to seal a hole in the water jacket in my head last year. Its still working great.