Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

91 blazer stinks from behind

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
archied1067 is on a distinguished road
Default 91 blazer stinks from behind

hi guys im new to the forum and new to the offroading scene. im not new to turning wrenches, i need some help i just got this blazer which i love it will be great for family camping trips and hitting dunes with! any way i took it down to get smoged and failed things i have done replaced all plugs and gaped em to .35 also i replace the tbi gasket changed the oil and filter also replaced the air filter. i also replaced the fuel pump and filter oh and cleand the egr. the truck runs good but blows white smoke at first then goes away but the fumes are to much it makes me dizzy so i dont put the windows down cause of my kids. need some help here guys any suggestions thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing how old it is it probably needs a new cat. Though I'm not familier with the old spark plug gaps of the older blazers, but .35 is a huge gap...did you mean .035 in? If so that to me seems too small. My 99 vortech asked for .060 in.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The smoke is probably caused from the valve seals leaking by when the engine gets cold. Once things warm up the seals expand, thus no more smoke.

As for the smell, what does it smell like? Sulpher? If so, time for a new cat.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thor_449
...Though I'm not familier with the old spark plug gaps of the older blazers, but .35 is a huge gap...did you mean .035 in? If so that to me seems too small. My 99 vortech asked for .060 in.
If the plugs are AC/Delco, then .035" is correct for his year.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM

yup i mean .035" i think i need to change out the cat also but didnt want to install it with out fixing what ever fuel problem i have cause i might foul up a 200 dollar cat

i also noticed a pop in the throttle bodie from reving it over and over do you guys think i need to get a rebuild kit or a pressure regulator?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-29-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would need a 't' fitting to test fuel pressure if you wanted to see if the fuel pressure regulator is working properly. How does the fuel spray look out of the injectors?

Does the exhaust smell like sulphur or, as sometimes described, rotten eggs?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM

when it idles it looks like a pulse then when it reving it looks like a mostly consistent spray pattern also the egr diaprham sucks it and goes back right away to normal position while its being reved

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your note on the EGR valve operation sounds suspicious. It almost sounds like the EGR solenoid valve isn't working properly. It shouldn't be open all of the time. From the sounds of it, the EGR solenoid is stuck open. Try disconnecting the vacuum line and plugging it with a golf tee or small bolt and see if the truck runs better.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Your note on the EGR valve operation sounds suspicious. It almost sounds like the EGR solenoid valve isn't working properly. It shouldn't be open all of the time. From the sounds of it, the EGR solenoid is stuck open. Try disconnecting the vacuum line and plugging it with a golf tee or small bolt and see if the truck runs better.
i tried that but with out plunging the small hose and reved it up and blew all kinds of white smoke have tried plunging it

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by archied1067
i tried that but with out plunging the small hose and reved it up and blew all kinds of white smoke have tried plunging it
replaced the spark plug wires ,roter and cap then checked the spark plugs loks like they are oily a bite a nd black whats that mean???????????