Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'92 Blazer 4.3 floods and wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member
chevyguy4lyfe is on a distinguished road
Default '92 Blazer 4.3 floods and wont start.

I just got a '92 blazer and it will not start. Pulled plugs and they are soaked with fuel. Its also getting spark but will not start. I removed the intake plenum and do not see any leaks. Pulled the poppet valves out and they seem to be functioning properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

disconnect fuel pump fuse and relay. Get a can of starter fluid. Crank, with no fuel pump for a min or two. No matter how flooded it is, it should dry out with no fuel pump. A shot or two from the starter fluid might help.

Once you get it dry, it will start and run with B12 or Starter fluid, but do this only for a few seconds to make sure it's no longer flooded.

Next, hook fuel pump back up and try again.

Note; Anytime you are working with fuel, keep an appropriate fire extinguisher handy and be alert of fire danger!

BTW, are you sure it's a 92? I thought they were TBI.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billbobagns

'92 was the first year for the CPI option.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by billbobagns
disconnect fuel pump fuse and relay. Get a can of starter fluid. Crank, with no fuel pump for a min or two. No matter how flooded it is, it should dry out with no fuel pump. A shot or two from the starter fluid might help.

Once you get it dry, it will start and run with B12 or Starter fluid, but do this only for a few seconds to make sure it's no longer flooded.

Next, hook fuel pump back up and try again.

Note; Anytime you are working with fuel, keep an appropriate fire extinguisher handy and be alert of fire danger!

The thing about it is even if i let it sit and dry out as soon as i crank it over, about 10 seconds, it floods out again. I didn't see any clean spots or any other signs of leaks other than just a little bit of fuel in the bottom of the intake.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member

While i was out in the garage i looked again and there is a clean spot right under the "nut kit" where it looks like fuel was leaking but cant find a leak. I can tell the previous owner had the intake off so they may have fixed the leak? I would upload pics but am not sure how to.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
Have you checked for spark at the plugs?
Yup, its getting good spark. It just floods as soon as i crank it over. This ones really stumping me.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

My 92 S10 with the W engine got so that it would flood. I could hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and it would start.

Leaking nut kit fixed that problem.

I might add, when engine was cold it would start OK, but after driving to Walmart which is about a 10 mile drive and parking it for about 15 to 30 minutes, when starting it would flood.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by JustJerry
My 92 S10 with the W engine got so that it would flood. I could hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and it would start.

Leaking nut kit fixed that problem.

I might add, when engine was cold it would start OK, but after driving to Walmart which is about a 10 mile drive and parking it for about 15 to 30 minutes, when starting it would flood.
nothing in the intake seems to be leaking but there is a clean spot under the nut kit. i am going to go back out today and try and track down a leak somewhere.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well i still couldnt find any leaks today, i put the intake back together. It still floods but now if i hold the pedal down it kind of pops like it wants to fire up but still wont fire. I removed the intake afterwards and there is no fuel in the intake. Going away for the weekend, hopefully when i get back someone will have something for me so i can have a vehicle again.

Quick Reply: '92 Blazer 4.3 floods and wont start.