Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

92 Full size high temp???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah 195 is where it should run. i have a 90 fullsize and thats about the norm. seen it go up to 210 when i was towing and it was hot out. you try running it with the radiator cap off to see if the thermostat opens. it is possible any one of those parts you bought were faulty. i been a mechanic for about a year now and id say about one out of 30 parts i install something is jacked up on it

Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Im currious if there arent some coolant ports that are partially plugged from years of running hard well water in the truck. (Lesson learned on my part).

I noticed you said you flushed the system, but if there is actually sediment build up, flushing wont help.

basically, the engine is having a hard time transferring the heat to the outside air.....Is the fan shroud in place?

I dont believe you have a head gasket problem. If you did, you should find air in the cooling system.

Still thinking.
Good luck

Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
SOTO is on a distinguished road

First thing in the morning is when it does it worst... itll hit 240 ish and check guages light turned on.. than went back to 215 ish than pretty much just stays between 215 and 230.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 PM

That makes it sound like air to me also. I have installed flushing T's in the heater hoses to make bleeding easier for me.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Starting Member
bodydrops10 is on a distinguished road

this doesnt sould like air at all too me... ive have 20 early 90"s full size and experiencd alot of dif prob with them... im an ase master tech..do this with the truck completely cold remove the rad cap and start it let it get to op range and dont mess with idle or anything... watch the anti freeze for foam... if you get foam you have a blown head gasket and or cracked or worped head... also check the tail pipe for dripping water this will give you futher hints.... a vacumm test can tell you for sure if you know how to do one. if it passes all of this and you have replaced all of those parts... i would say its a faulty sending unit... they are like 5$ at your local parts store..

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Starting Member

just because you have no water in the oil does NOT mean you dont have a blown head gasket... if you have done all the things you say then this would be my bet.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Yep, I have the ase cert also.

Every vehicle i have ever owned leaks water out of the tail pipe. Its condensation from normal combustion.

The foaming mentioned is caused by air/antifreeze being churned up in the water pump. The question is then...Where is the air coming from? A minor coolant leak? Blown head gasket? If the air is from a recent repair that had the cooling system open, then it could be expected until all the air is purged.

I believe SOTO also stated he had a second gauge installed to verify the original. If he used the same sending unit i agree the sending unit could be bad. But if the second gauge reads the same as the first with a different sensor, I would believe the readings.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member

Ya used a diffrent manual guage.. the whole reason for all the repairs was that it was doing the same thing before all my repairs.. i just got to.work and this morning it did the same freaking thing! Got to like 240 pulled in my parking lot looked down at my gauge and it was back to 215... iam out of ideas.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Starting Member

your right kris... water does com out of the exhaust in normal conditions but not very much at all.... you will get alot with a blown head gasket. and i didnt see the part about installing the second gauge. but a motor even with iron heads ran at 220 to 240 degrees for a period of time... its gonna have some major prob 9 times outa 10. i had a 91 chevy z71 back in 2000 that did this all the time and i couldnt figure it out... till one day i was runnin late for work. and was doin about 85 on the highway it was over heating as usual.running at about 240..... it blew the plastic side tank off the rad so when i replaced it i went ahead and pulled the heads off sure enough both heads were cracked right in the middle of #4 and #6 ... and #3 and #5 visually i could see these cracks and yet i still had no water in my oil. im just sayin it would be a thing to check out a few simple test will tell ya hope you figure it out buddy! good luck

Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys i feel pretty stupid.. its fixed. It was my freaken guage temp sensor. $8 part haha.

Quick Reply: 92 Full size high temp???