Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'92 S-10 4dr, 700r4 auto problems, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Gil_87 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation '92 S-10 4dr, 700r4 auto problems, need help.

Hi all, its been a while since i've tried to get some help here with my 700r4 trans in my '92 blazer 4.3L.

I will try to put up a video in the next few days to show a little more of whats wrong.

My trans went out a few months back and with the income I barley get as a student I havent been able to pay for a rebuilt trans or the labor ($800-900 range) So i'm getting ready to drop the trans and install a used/new one next pay.

Here is where i need a little more help, because I don't have any extra money at the moment or in the near future. My transmission made my truck overheat about a month or two ago and i was barley able to get the truck home, it felt as if the trans was slipping horribly bad, I had to pull over twice to let it cool and call AAA the last 45miles home.

I get home and check all hoses, check for any leakage and fluid level is normal, there is nothing out of the ordinary the fluid is a maroon color but not very dark. I do a fluid/filter change and the pans magnet is thickly coated with metallic sludge, I'm guess this is very bad, being that i'm definitely no real mechanic. Start the truck, let it run then try to drive. It goes about 1 mile then slows to a crawling 1-2mph barley enough to get home a couple blocks. I cant touch the gas because the car feels like it wants to stall and go out.

I am able to shift into all gears with little problem and reverse works faster than the forward gears. The truck will only move under idling power. I have the truck in PARK and manually pull the throttle a little under the throttle body and the truck wants to stall. Why does it want to stall in park? It stalls when in gear and i try to give it gas. Now when my truck starts it will run really hard.

I've checked and replaced a couple vac hoses behind the TB area, checked the PCV, and other various hoses for any leakage or damage, none that I can hear or see, maybe one of the vac lines is clogged with heavy grime/sediment?

back to the trans subject, since the truck is still able to roll itself under idling power, what could be wrong inside the transmission? should I see if I can get by with a soft parts rebuild? is it the SUN gear? what can go wrong in this thing!? Its not totally bound up!

Is it the torque converter? when it would still drive a little, the gear would "stretch" to a really high RPM before letting trans shift, then it would clunk heavily into second gear then stall.

I cant afford a full rebuild and install and I've been loosing work without my vehicle!! so no money to fix car.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 PM
PhotonVibes is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if anyone can please help us out with this, Gil, I'm having nearly an identical problem. I have a '92 s10 Tahoe 4x2 auto. Whenever I start it, it's really rough and I have to throttle it hard, then if I let it idle, it's really rough. I can shift into 2nd and 3rd gears, but after a minute or two of driving around my apartment complex it shutters and dies. Hard start again. I do have a possible valve cover seal problem spewing oil onto my exhaust manifold, but I'm not sure if any tranny fluid is leaking. I have not done a tranny fluid flush or change, nor have I checked the solenoid. I was seeking answers based on common problems, and this is the one most similar to my own. I find it also worthy to mention that there is a harsh metallic squealing, especially after raising the rpm's above 4k and letting it idle a few minutes after starting. Is it the torque converter? And if so, is there a way to change the torque converter without changing the entire transmission (and if so, would the tools/equipment be easily obtainable??)? Please let me know also if you find any more info Gil, I'm going to ask around and possibly try to see if any of the guys at GM know of this being an issue with these models, or something of the sort.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 PM
PhotonVibes is on a distinguished road

Valve Bore Wear

• If your vehicle exhibits no lock-up, or locks up immediately after second gear, then you likely have excessive pump bore to valve clearance. This problem is caused by valve bore wear, a problem which allows oil to leak past the OEM spool and overwhelms the solenoid's exhausting capabilities. Valve bore wear may also restrict cooler flow, which can cause transmission parts to burn up.

Read more: Problems With the 700R4 Transmissions | eHow