Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

92 s10 blazer pouring ATF

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 03:53 AM
Frenchtickler91 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 92 s10 blazer pouring ATF

wanna say i appreciate any help from anyone in advanced I'm new to the blazer and this forum. My name is Jeff I'm from Alabama. I've recently purchased a 92 s10 blazer 4wd fuel injected for $400. I'm 30 years old and my girlfriend is expecting and she needs a car to go to here and there, nothing any farther than 10-15 mins away from where we live. We are poor at the moment both of us are in the process of starting all over again from nothing so I figured I could find something that needed work and was cheap. I found this blazer on Facebook the guy said it needed the gas tank, rear quarter glass, and idler pulley re assembled but all the parts were inside the car supposedly. I currently work as a maintenance man at a poultry plant and I've always worked on my own cars. I'm not ASE certified or nothing but I figured what the hell. I had to buy a fuel pump and a tensioner pulley bought a refurbished battery and Christmas day a few weeks ago I fired her off. Started on the first pull let her run for about ten mins. Right before we jumped in to take her for a maiden voyage I noticed a puddle of ATF. I laid up under it after pouring more and more ATF in it and it's coming from whatever the component is that is between the trans fluid pan and the oil pan. I will come right out and admit i know jack about automatic transmissions. So if anyone can help I really to appreciate it.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:54 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

When you say it is coming from the component between the oil pan and trans fluid pan, are you referring to the bell housing?

Old 02-16-2022, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
When you say it is coming from the component between the oil pan and trans fluid pan, are you referring to the bell housing?
I belive it is the cover over the torque converter. That's what everyone keeps telling me anyways.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchtickler91
I belive it is the cover over the torque converter. That's what everyone keeps telling me anyways.
If that is from where it is coming, then I would guess that either the torque converter is leaking which is hard to imagine, or there is a bad seal at the input shaft.

And you are sure it is coming from within the bell housing, not from anywhere else. Right?

If the leak is from within the bell housing, then I'd guess any repair would at least require the removal of the transmission. I hope I'm wrong and that someone more knowledgable might reply with some other ideas.

You might take it to a transmission shop to have it diagnosed.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 PM

I appreciate your input, genuinely, im trying to learn all ican learn before attempting to tackle this own my own. As for a transmission shop, at the moment I've got far more disposable time then I have disposable income. No one wants to hear me cry about my financial situation but trust me when I say I honestly have no choice at the moment. So any knowledge or opinions you can contribute are much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchtickler91
I appreciate your input, genuinely, im trying to learn all ican learn before attempting to tackle this own my own. As for a transmission shop, at the moment I've got far more disposable time then I have disposable income. No one wants to hear me cry about my financial situation but trust me when I say I honestly have no choice at the moment. So any knowledge or opinions you can contribute are much appreciated.
I hear ya on the time vs. money calculation.

There should be an access panel on the underside of the bell housing, it is round and made of thin sheet metal that you could remove to try to use to find the source of the leak. There are also a couple openings at the front end on the bottom of the bell housing that could provide some additional visual access. I'm a big believer in the adage "A well understood problem is a problem half-solved". If you could narrow down the symptom as best you can, then you can do a search for likely causes.

Of course if you get under the Blazer to do a visual inspection of from where the leak is coming, then I don't have to tell you to be extremely cautious if you have it running while you are under it!

I don't think this video relates to you specifically but it is a good introduction to some of the issues with our 4L60E transmissions. These are quite common transmissions so that there is quite a bit of knowledge out there on them.

Keep us posted on what you find.