Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

93 4.3 into a 96 blazer ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
m.sterner is on a distinguished road
Default 93 4.3 into a 96 blazer ?

wondering how much is the same.got a 1993 blazer with the vortec 4300, bought it cheap to have some fun in and what not but the trans is slipping and the 4wd isnt engaging and to me is not worth fixing .i recently picked up a 96 blazer too, previous owner blew a headgasket so motor is no good. i was wondering if its possible to put the 93 motor in the 96.there both 4.3 L vortecs so just wondering if everything would bolt up the same or what would be differennt? any help would be appreciated.just trying to get an idea if this project is worth it before i attempt it.thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These engines are quite a bit different. While it may be possible to swap the entire top end off of one motor over to the other, I do not recall anyone ever doing it on this forum. I think that Tim (hanr3) took a newer block and used it in an older truck... With all of the crap on these engines though and the sheer number of differences between the CPI engine and the SCFI engine, it won't be easy.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
m.sterner is on a distinguished road

yeah swapping the blocks would be a pita. im talking about a complete motor swap though.the trans are the same so im thinking they will bolt up fine.computers going to be the problem im thinking, so id have to use the one out of the 93 and the harness as well but is that going to mess up the trans any? im not looking to do something perfect here, more of something just to mess around with, as long as it had heat and power steering i wouldnt care if the rest was even hooked up

Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is even more of a nightmare. The systems are completely incompatible. There are systems in your truck that rely on the PCM that would not be present in the 93.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

To swap the 93 into the 96 you will ahve to replace the heads and intake manifold, plus all sensors. Seeing as your going down to the head gasket for the swap, why not see if that is all that is toast on the 96 motor and replace it. Did you crack the block? Replaceing the head gasket and intake gasket is a lot less expensive and easier than swapping engines.

No doubt you will end up replaceing a bunch of exhaust parts if you do an engine swap.